We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest time of the year (UK to New York flights)

England
reviews: 130
Cheapest time of the year (UK to New York flights)

I am struggling to find cheap flights from the UK to New York. The cheapest I can find at the moment is just over £700 which is crazy.

I am fairly flexible with work so can fit in with the cheapest times of the year. When would these be? I would like a bit of sun though as I don't get much here!

I would prefer to go from Manchester but would consider London if it was much cheaper.

If I was to choose a school holiday which is slightly easier for my job which would be cheapest? Easter? May half term? Summer? October half term?

Thanks for any advice.

Jacksonville...
reviews: 197
1. Re: Cheapest time of the year (UK to New York flights)

To be honest, 700 pounds isn't terribly expensive for that route. A few times a year maybe you'll get a deal, but I don't think there's one specific time to look. Sign up for fare alerts from some of your favorite airlines and go from there. Unfortunately, that route is always in high demand, so airlines have little incentive to discount it.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
reviews: 123
2. Re: Cheapest time of the year (UK to New York flights)

slippeddisc

LHR-JFK tickets were as low as £425 during the British Airways World Sale which concluded January 29th...didn't you see any mention of it?

Regards

Norwich, United...
reviews: 13
3. Re: Cheapest time of the year (UK to New York flights)

If you are stuck to go in school holidays, I personally think everything is inflated. I'm just about to book flights from Norwich via Amsterdam to JFK for £522 but that's 26th September. Have you searched on sky scanner? I've done a quick search on there for October half term from Manchester and there are some £619. Heathrow is coming up a bit cheaper.

I'm no expert, but I'm driving myself nuts here trying to find my own flights, so I know how you feel!!

Monkey6870

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
4. Re: Cheapest time of the year (UK to New York flights)

Monkey6870

Only £340,return direct flights with AA from Dublin to JFK on Sept 26th assuming you are there for 7 days-all you have to worry about is the cost and route to Dublin

England
reviews: 130
5. Re: Cheapest time of the year (UK to New York flights)

Thanks everyone. I'll keep looking. I didn't see the sale as I've ony just started looking. I will keep an eye out for the next one. I don't have to go in the school holidays but it's a little easier for work.

Thanks for all your help.

Norwich, United...
6. Re: Cheapest time of the year (UK to New York flights)

Thanks, 289jumper. I live right near Norwich airport so that's why I would fly that route. I'm only going for 5 days too. Flights to Dublin would be from Stansted so would involve leaving a car etc. great price tho :)

Romford, United...
7. Re: Cheapest time of the year (UK to New York flights)

Monkey6870

They also now fly to Dublin from Southend (Aer Lingus) and what I like about the place is they don't screw you over on car parking charges

Norwich, United...
8. Re: Cheapest time of the year (UK to New York flights)

£79 return if flight timings work.. That's not bad at all. Still a fair drive for me and I have my mum in tow! If I was doing it alone or with a younger traveller that would be an option and one worth knowing. Cheers!

Edited: 10:56 am, February 10, 2013
Romford, United...
9. Re: Cheapest time of the year (UK to New York flights)

Monkey6870

It does work- normally fly LHR to airports in Ca but my next trip starting SEN-DUB with Aer Lingus then bought my long haul ticket starting at DUB with AA and saved over £210 by avoiding Air Passenger Duty and taxes that Ireland doesn't charge but the UK does!!!

Yes you are absolutely correct it all depends on flight times-one added bonus it that before you leave Dublin you clear US customs and passport control so when you arrive you're treated as a domestic flight so no tiresome queing

Liverpool, UK
10. Re: Cheapest time of the year (UK to New York flights)

Be aware that whilst flying via Dublin might be cheaper it comes with a risk, if the seperately ticketed flight from UK to Dublin is delayed/cancelled resulting in missing the Dublin - US flight then you are simply a no show and have lost that flight.

You can get non stop flights from Manchester to Newark with United over various dates for around £570 and there are 1 stop options via Washington for around £450 if cost is a major issue.