We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water removed AT the boarding gate in Dubai

NZ
reviews: 25
Water removed AT the boarding gate in Dubai

I came through Dubai on the 8th Feb and for the first time ever there was a temporary set up of tables in the boarding lounge and passengers coming down from the gate after being registered as 'on the flight', and the ticket tab removed went through an additional bag search and all the liquids were removed and disposed of before walking down the airbridge. The search was a bit perfunctory as most have their bottled water on the top of the carry on and the security staff never really delved deeply but just asked how much water. Alcohol in duty free bags went into a baggage container for collection on arrival.

I've never seen such a mound of bottled water anywhere as usually once through security you buy in the transit area and take it on board. Going over, and incidentally at the same gate - it didn't happen

Lake Crystal...
reviews: 13
1. Re: Water removed AT the boarding gate in Dubai

Same thing happened to me on an AA flight out of SCL two summers ago. They did not allow any liquids, including water, on board, and collected them on the jetway after we showed our boarding passes at the gate.

Sunshine Coast...
reviews: 13
2. Re: Water removed AT the boarding gate in Dubai

I had completely the opposite experience in Dubai.

I had a bottle of water from my hotel and as I passed through security I offered it to the screener as I couldn't see a bin to throw it in. He waved me on with a "That's ok." My hand luggage had to be manually screened as something showed up on the xray and I asked about my water and was again told that I could keep it. At this stage I assumed there was an additional check point but we got onto the plane without any further screenings.

The water bottle was 300ml and had been opened and was still over half full. I drank it on the plane as I never got to fill my own water bottle as I was still waiting for the secondary check point that didn't exist.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
3. Re: Water removed AT the boarding gate in Dubai

Leaving TLV--flights to the US are not allowed to bring water onboard--even if purchased after security.

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 457
4. Re: Water removed AT the boarding gate in Dubai

Several airports in the world are like this.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 64
5. Re: Water removed AT the boarding gate in Dubai

Perhaps there was a security alert that day

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
6. Re: Water removed AT the boarding gate in Dubai

Also happened to us in Nairobi and we were in transit and had never left the secure area.

colchester
Destination Expert
for Agadir
reviews: 29
7. Re: Water removed AT the boarding gate in Dubai

Happened to us at Mombasa last year - as we entered lounge was told drink all drinks or leave them here.

As several folks had just bought them, they drank what they could - only to discover that there were no toilets in the lounge - not a happy place to be.

When we eventually boarded, there was a awful long queue for the loos before taxi-ing and take off. Thankfully the cabin crew were very understanding.

Not so understanding were the passengers in economy who then had to pay the inflated airline prices for their in flight water!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: Water removed AT the boarding gate in Dubai

>> Several airports in the world are like this. <<

Yup, I've seen this too, boarding US bound flights at Incheon (I was flying Asiana) and at both Beijing and Shanghai PVG.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 738
9. Re: Water removed AT the boarding gate in Dubai

Well, at least TSA can't be blamed ;-)

Brisbane
reviews: 26
10. Re: Water removed AT the boarding gate in Dubai

Happened to me at OT Johannesburg, but it was only my flight to Sydney, flight to Paris at opposite gate didn't have the temporary tables collecting liquids, I assumed it was requirement by destination country.

Edited: 7:24 pm, February 09, 2013