We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Porter Airlines

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 144
Porter Airlines

Recently flew with Porter Airlines , Toronto to Newark.

Excellent service, great lounge area in Toronto and as well coming back there was a small lounge in Newark. The lounges include, water, juices, cookies, almonds, teas, and there is also an espresso machine. They have comfortable sitting areas with free wifi.

On the flight we had a snack as well as a small meal which included a sandwich and desert and the staff is friendly and look very professional. They also had wine on the flight. Ive flown on other airlines where you dont even get a snack. Also the view is great when you leave the airport as you see the whole skyline especially at night. As well landing at Toronto City and not having to wait more than 5 minutes to pass customs and slowly walk to connection flight was all worth it. This airline is great and their Toronto downtown landing is perfect as you can just walk to downtown.

10 replies to this topic
Greater Sydney...
reviews: 32
1. Re: Porter Airlines

Your experience mirrors my own in June last but at that time renovations to the terminal at Newark were under way and things a little cramped at that end.

Another thing I liked was to be flying low enough to be able to appreciate the scenery passing below.

My only concern with Porter was that I was not advised I needed to check my carry-on bag, along with our main luggage, as the O/head bins in the Bombardier were too small for a standard size carry-on.

Westboro...
reviews: 14
2. Re: Porter Airlines

Unfortunately my experience was less than stellar. Flight cancelled, long lines, few agents, self serve not working, take me back to a real airline

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 43
3. Re: Porter Airlines

Porter doesn't exist in my world. Its an entirely regional airline that ignores more than half the country. Blah.

Fredericton, Canada
reviews: 31
4. Re: Porter Airlines

I wish to god they'd fly out of Fredericton. We are currently held hostage to Air Canada for any flight anywhere (excluding very limited holiday charters). Air Canada is adequate in my book but on board services are stripped to the bone.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 3
5. Re: Porter Airlines

hopefully Porter gets the go ahead to expand billy bishop airport. That way they can acquire their jets and expand from local regional airline to further destinations including vancouver and calgary. They are notches above the rest, great airline.

Edited: 2:29 pm, July 09, 2013
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 9
6. Re: Porter Airlines

Last flew Porter to Chicago out of Toronto to connect there with Amtrak. Porter cancelled our flight notifying us by E-Mail at about 3:00 AM for a 9:30 flight instead of calling so we took a later flight and missed our train connection. I've heard of other relatives using Porter and running into the cancelled flight issue. Seems to be systemic with Porter so suggest book an early flight in case it gets cancelled and you can take a later one hopefully.

Boston
reviews: 11
7. Re: Porter Airlines

I flew Porter last month on a round trip ticket from Boston to Toronto, and attempted to return to Boston.

On the return (2pm Sunday), 90% of the passengers on my flight (including myself) were rescheduled to the next day, to make room for passengers who were supposed to fly out earlier (their flight was cancelled because their plane had mechanical problems). Someone at Porter made the business decision to do this. A big mistake! They do not have reciprocal agreements with other airlines, and are not able to move you to a non-Porter Air flight. They have limited equipment and resources. I HAD to be back in Boston that night. I was forced to cab to another airport, and buy another ticket on another airline for $450. I wrote a letter of complaint to Porter, and six weeks later - no response. I am going to share with all of my friends, family and business associates to avoid Porter airlines, as they are unreliable, unresponsive, and treat their customers unfairly.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 31
8. Re: Porter Airlines

Jackzvi--your comments are bang on. Everyone likes to bash the major carriers, and sure, service can be better on an airline like Porter, but when something goes wrong, then they show what a small potato airline they really are.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 28
9. Re: Porter Airlines

We flew with Porter from Toronto to Halifax recently. This was our first experience and we found that they are far superior to any other flight taken out of Pearson. Their lounge is very comfortable and they are generous with coffee and snacks. On flight, there is a lot of leg room, which is a treat, and the service is wonderful. They even give passengers a complimentary box lunch with beer, wine, juices, tea/coffee, water. Their service can't be beat! We highly recommend Porter - only wish they flew to the Caribbean Islands.

Edited: 1:48 pm, October 01, 2013
New Jersey
reviews: 268
10. Re: Porter Airlines

My daughter who goes to school in Montreal regularly flies Porter Airlines and really likes it. In spite of the fact that Porter flies through Toronto, she is rarely inconvenienced, much as she would be on a United Airlines, which flies directly between Montreal and Newark.

I flew Porter recently to Toronto with my other daughter and can't say enough good things about them. The Porter Lounge in Newark Airport is fabulous: free snacks, free wifi, close to bathrooms and the lounge in Toronto Billy Bishop Airport is large with free snacks, wifi and a nice view. The professionalism of the staff is beyond superb - we switched our return flight for no extra money, no hassles, no rolling of the eyes like other staff does on US airlines. The trip is quick with free snacks - food, drinks (including wine and beer for no extra charge), the plane flies low enough that you can enjoy the sights if you don't want to read. Best of all, you can gate-check your bags, which don't cost you anything. The staff is very polite. I can't wait to fly them again.

Reply to: Porter Airlines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted