We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunwing-13.5 hours sitting on the tarmac

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 32
Sunwing-13.5 hours sitting on the tarmac

Thank goodness I was not on this flight yesterday. Yes, Toronto airport was pummeled by a snow storm, but my goodness, 13.5 hours on the tarmac.

thestar.com/news/gta/2013/02/08/passengers_w…

(At just a pet peeve of mine--why, oftentimes when there is an error in a system, it is simply waived off as caused by a "Computer glitch"? Glitch?

London, United...
reviews: 22
1. Re: Sunwing-13.5 hours sitting on the tarmac

Oh my, that is brutal.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 9
2. Re: Sunwing-13.5 hours sitting on the tarmac

I don't understand why they were not taken back to the gate and allowed to go back into the terminal-?!!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 105
3. Re: Sunwing-13.5 hours sitting on the tarmac

I'm surprised they didn't make a decision to go back earlier too. Flying timer to Panama City must be around 4 hours so at some time during the wait someone on board must have realised the crew would've timed out.

I know you can't second guess the weather but this storm was well known about in advance.

Canada
reviews: 52
4. Re: Sunwing-13.5 hours sitting on the tarmac

I was once stuck on a plane for 6+ hours on the tarmac in Toronto. Air Canada from Munich.

Remember when that Air France plane crashed? Yes...we came in on the same runway just two flights ahead of it. The weather was horrific but it was thunderstorms, windshears and rain. (We actually could see the plane burning)

We weren't allowed off the plane, not because of the crash but due to the lightening. No ground crew were allowed on the tarmac as a result of the lightening and rain. I am not sure what the reasoning was here but an AC flight was also sitting out there for 6+ hours as well yesterday. I had heard something about deicing issues but I can't imagine why that would stop them from getting to the gate.

It was awful but the flight crew were great, giving out what they could for food, putting on the entertainment system to settle people down etc. I have never ever been so happy to have been upgraded to business class as I was on that flight.

South Pole
reviews: 39
5. Re: Sunwing-13.5 hours sitting on the tarmac

all i can say is canadians must be extremely patient.

cant imagine a 13 hour tarmac delay happening in sydney. the riot squad would have been called hours before then.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 9
6. Re: Sunwing-13.5 hours sitting on the tarmac

Well exactly, I think I would have been calling 911 like someone did on another flight not too long ago. It's essentially forced confinement.

This is also a good reminder to never get on a flight without your own supplies of water and meal replacement bars.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 32
7. Re: Sunwing-13.5 hours sitting on the tarmac

A Sunwing Rep was on TV (while the delay was still in progress) talking about how they were doing everything they could for their passengers.

If that was them doing "everything they could", imagine what they would be like if they treated you with disdain.

A total disgrace---I think I would have need medical help for elevated blood pressure had I been on that flight.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
8. Re: Sunwing-13.5 hours sitting on the tarmac

WOW! I know in Dec. 2010 there was a major snowstorm in NYC. Due to a number of problems lining up perfectly ( or not so perfectly ) an El Al plane was on the ground, with passengers for many, many hours. They handled it very very differently. Passengers were served at the same times they would have been had they been in the air. In flight entertainment was screened. While the plane went no where the passengers were a lot less stressed than these were. In this instance El Al seemed to really make the best out of the situation.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 49
9. Re: Sunwing-13.5 hours sitting on the tarmac

As a near - Torontonian, I find this disturbing, and will be watching the follow up. Babies and toddlers have lower limits than adults who also must have been terribly uncomfortable. I usually have a couple of granola bars as well as water when I go on board, but I'll add a few other things to my stash. Better safe than sorry.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
reviews: 18
10. Re: Sunwing-13.5 hours sitting on the tarmac

With the X ray scanners, the less legal rights you have on a plane-even in the airports and sometimes very long delays were you are treated like cattle, I just given up on flying for a fun filled holiday.

I went a few times and each of my trips went fine but problems seem to be getting worst. All those airliner bankruptcies the US carriers have been having must make for some unhappy crew members.

If I had to fly someplace that be one thing but to want to fly, I just can't get myself in the flying mood. Driving might well be slower but least you have more freedom to do as you please. Going by bus is another option, each time I went by bus my luggage has never been searched and I wasn't screened-x rayed.

Yep it was a 12 hour bus ride for me vs flying. How I got to DC two summers ago....my friends/family were all like why don't you fly, well the bus was having a sale and the cost was under $50 round trip (I went from DC to Toronto for $3.50..yep three dollars and fifty cents)..it wasn't the most relaxing time I ever had, ha ha but least I got someplace else after all that time.

Being stuck on a grounded plane for 13 hours, no way..its horror stories like this which has permanently grounded me.

Edited: 10:05 pm, February 09, 2013