We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Brunei Airlines Melb, Aus to Bangkok

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 25
Royal Brunei Airlines Melb, Aus to Bangkok

Hi All

Going to Laos in June, will fly Royal Brunei Airlines from Melbourne Australia to Bangkok. Will have an hour and fifteen @ Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Int Airport as a stopover and change of plane before flying to Bangkok. Will we need collect our luggage and recheck it in @ Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Int Airport, or will the airline do that for us?

Usually I go for direct flights when I travel but I saved a few $$$ doing it this way and thought it would break the journey as I don't travel to well on planes.

Cheers

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Melb, Aus to Bangkok

If you are on a single through ticket your luggage will be checked through.

Be aware that Royal Brunei is a 'dry' airline.

Melbourne, Australia
2. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Melb, Aus to Bangkok

Thanks Hans_DEN

I am aware RBA is 'dry'. Have heard a mention you can drink your own duty free on board and they supply the mixers. Though I enjoy a bevy, if I have to do without I will. No buggy.

Thanks for your response.

Cheers

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 138
3. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Melb, Aus to Bangkok

Your luggage will be put through to BKK, don't worry. Brunei is a small airport, so 1hr 15min is just enough to stretch your legs, go to the bathroom, have a coffee (free wifi with purchase) and catch your next flight. Some people on skytrax complain about the condition of the airport and/or toilets -- fear not, they are whinging about nothing. Royal Brunei is a great little airline, good way to save money but still get a quality product.

Melbourne, Australia
4. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Melb, Aus to Bangkok

Thanks bimdonesia

I'll enjoy the 1 H 15 especially if we don't have to gather bags and recheck.

As you mentioned, stretch the legs, a culpa and a relax etc.

Enlighten me.... What is 'skytrax'?

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
5. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Melb, Aus to Bangkok

Ignore question re skytrax, just googled it.

Thanks

australia
reviews: 17
6. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Melb, Aus to Bangkok

Some people on skytrax complain about the condition of the airport and/or toilets - >>>>>>

Be warned - The only "sit on" toilet is in the shower room at the airport. I don't mind the "squat" type, used them many times around the globe but to the uninitiated they can be a shock.

I always wear skirts when I fly

Edited: 7:31 pm, February 09, 2013
Hong Kong, China
reviews: 138
7. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Melb, Aus to Bangkok

That is simply not true, jagjetfly.

I have flown BI recently and there were western-style toilets in the women's toilet area, not just in the shower room. I don't understand how so many people claim there are not, when I had no trouble finding one!

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 196
8. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Melb, Aus to Bangkok

Be aware that you can't use cards to purchase most things at the Brunei airport so you will need cash. But with 1:15, it will be just enough time to get through, go to the bathroom then you will have to re-board, so it will not be an issue.

Melbourne, Australia
9. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Melb, Aus to Bangkok

Thanks Savitar.

Will have 2.5 hours at the airport on the way home.

If I can't use a card, what currency can I use? AUD, US, or do I need use the currency of Brunei? Truth is, I'm not sure what Brunei currency is yet.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 10
10. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Melb, Aus to Bangkok

Brunei Dollar (BND if abbreviated). The currency is pegged to the Singapore Dollar (SGD) at 1:1.

You should be able to use AUD or USD at the shops, but any change from your purchase will be in BND. The rate for the conversion would be very unfavourable.