We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways Hand Luggage problems

Birmingham
reviews: 9
British Airways Hand Luggage problems

Am I the only one who has suffered from British Airways hand luggage policy. I.E they do not seem to have one. I boarded a half full A319 last week and virtually all the overhead bins were full of oversized bags laptops and coats. I ended up placing my bag seven rows behind me. I really do not know where the late boarders put their bags. Walking back down the aircraft after landing was absolutely horrible. Everyone tutting as I walked against the flow.

Much as people moan about the low cost airlines, at least you can always stow your hand luggage.

Come on BA sort this out, regulate the luggage or take away a row of seats to make a luggage area.

22 replies to this topic
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: British Airways Hand Luggage problems

Much as people moan about the low cost airlines, at least you can always stow your hand luggage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's not true.

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
2. Re: British Airways Hand Luggage problems

There are numerous threads on here about LCC gate checking bags as the overhead bins are full. So that part of your story doesnt stack up.

I think the main problem is they do have rules and the rules allow you extremely generous measurements and up to 23kg for handluggage and a laptop bag on top of that. So if most passengers follow BA rules which they are entitled to, you would soon run out of room.

So they are regulating their rules, they are just very liberal rules

britishairways.com/travel/…en_gb

:-)

London, United...
reviews: 23
3. Re: British Airways Hand Luggage problems

This is common on most airlines for short or mid haul trips, and low cost carriers are absolutely no different.

London
reviews: 10
4. Re: British Airways Hand Luggage problems

It is a big problem with BA and one I wish they enforced better.

Long haul is fine, it's short haul where there are issues.

Some people point to checked baggage delays at heathrow for the issue hence everyone wants to take things inboard.

Luckily I either fly club, but that's getting bad too as economy passengers are starting to dump their luggage in the lockers too filling those up, or as I have a silver card I get priority boarding so can always find space.

Really shouldn't be that way as instead of like what it is with budget airline where everyone want to rush on board to get a seat, on BA everyone wants to rush onboard to get locker space...

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
5. Re: British Airways Hand Luggage problems

It is a big problem with BA and one I wish they enforced better.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enoforce what? They allow large cabin bags up to 23kg and a laptop bag, are you saying you think passengers take more than this? I doubt it, and not when I ve been on a BA flight anyway.

:-)

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
6. Re: British Airways Hand Luggage problems

Lack of overhead space is a problem on BA as well as most other airlines. I've seen BA staff walk around the gate area looking for oversized bags and asking people to volunteer to check their carry-on many times so they are obviously aware of it.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
reviews: 253
7. Re: British Airways Hand Luggage problems

I have been advised (at no extra charge ) to check my hand luggage on a Delta flight.

Northampton, United...
reviews: 74
8. Re: British Airways Hand Luggage problems

What BA need to enforce is the sizes of the hand luggage, they state

>>Your main piece of hand baggage is up to the dimensions 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in), including the handle, pockets and wheels.<<

>>Your bag must fit into the bag gauge, available at the check-in area.<<

This is what they need to enforce. The majority of people on my last flight with BA won't have been able to get there's in the bag gauge.

The weight doesn't matter, as long as it fits the measurements

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
9. Re: British Airways Hand Luggage problems

< Much as people moan about the low cost airlines, at least you can always stow your hand luggage. >

Funny

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k61239…

There's also the assumption by the OP that the luggage WAS oversize - BA uses the IATA standard size whereas many low costs airlines (and indeed legacy airlines) use smaller sizes

Edited: 6:10 pm, February 09, 2013
London
reviews: 10
10. Re: British Airways Hand Luggage problems

""Enoforce what? They allow large cabin bags up to 23kg and a laptop bag, are you saying you think passengers take more than this? I doubt it, and not when I ve been on a BA flight anyway.""

The rules do not allow large bags. There are set dimensions, it's the weight that is large.

A compliant carry on suitcase and a compliant laptop bag or handbag should not generate too much luggage.

Also the fact that many people do not store their second rather large "bag" in the overhead too and not under the seat just adds to the problem.

Reply to: British Airways Hand Luggage problems
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted