We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Premium Economy from Australia to Europe

melbourne
reviews: 32
Virgin Premium Economy from Australia to Europe

just wondering if anyone has flown Virgin Premium Economy from Australia to Europe.

flight centre have a deal which is Melbourne to Sydney (economy), then Sydney to Abu Dhabi (premium economy) and then Etihad economy from Abu Dhabi to Paris.

If anyone has been on this type of flight can you tell me if the flight was worth paying the extra for. I am a bit concerned about the Virgin Premium economy product not being much better than economy.

If this is the case would Singapore Airlines economy to Paris be a better option.

thanks in advance

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
reviews: 70
1. Re: Virgin Premium Economy from Australia to Europe

I'm assuming by the routing you mean Virgin Australia rather than Virgin Atlantic. I've flown Premium with them to LA and thought it was great. I got a sale are so it was not too expensive. I have really long legs so the extra space was great and the small section of cabin for Premium made the journey quieter and just more comfortable. I liked it. Not sure if the food was different or not but overall a good experience.

melbourne
2. Re: Virgin Premium Economy from Australia to Europe

thanks for the reply - yes I did mean Virgin Australia.

UK
reviews: 90
3. Re: Virgin Premium Economy from Australia to Europe

Premium economy is pretty much all about seat pitch and width. There may be added benefits (perhaps an extra suitcase but that may not be the case especially with a mixed class flight) so you need to compare the specifications of each airlines seat and see if you think the difference is worth the money TO YOU. No one else can make that decision on your behalf. If everyone thought it was worth it, no one would fly economy, and vice versa. Only you know what the extra cost and legroom means to you.

Having said that, i personally I wouldn't be interested in doing it half way, I'd either be paying to do the whole way in WT+ or find a company with a seat pitch in economy I could live with.

One word of warning, if you do upgrade, once you have done it, you are likely to be dissatisfied with economy for ever more.

South Pole
reviews: 37
4. Re: Virgin Premium Economy from Australia to Europe

"One word of warning, if you do upgrade, once you have done it, you are likely to be dissatisfied with economy for ever more"

maybe and maybe not,

i flew business for 20 years when the company was paying.

in retirement i moved to the back of the plane.

doesn't bother me much.

just a means of getting from a to b.

rather spend the money at the destination than on the trip.

and really if u cant put up with some discomfort for 14-22 hours u r a little bit precious.

Edited: 2:45 am, February 09, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 33
5. Re: Virgin Premium Economy from Australia to Europe

<<just a means of getting from a to b.

rather spend the money at the destination than on the trip.

and really if u cant put up with some discomfort for 14-22 hours u r a little bit precious.>>.

Couldnt agree more!

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
6. Re: Virgin Premium Economy from Australia to Europe

What's 'precious' about wanting to be comfortable?

melbourne
7. Re: Virgin Premium Economy from Australia to Europe

I am so not precious. I have had my fair share of being behind that curtain , with screaming kids all around me.

I am just getting older, have spent all my time, energy and money on my family(especially the children) and have decided it is 'me' time.

This is mine and my husbands first holiday without our children (its been 25 long years).

So I would like a bit more comfort for the long haul to Europe

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
8. Re: Virgin Premium Economy from Australia to Europe

The other point is to shop around - Flight Centre won't be the only agency with a so-called 'deal'. You could also look at airlines such as Thai or Malaysia whose business class fares are usually a bit cheaper than the others. {Be REALLY 'precious' } :-)

Edited: 4:04 am, February 09, 2013
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 82
9. Re: Virgin Premium Economy from Australia to Europe

Can't comment on the Virgon Australia Premium but I can say that Virgin Atlantic PE is not worth it. Basically Economy with a wider seat, where the Qantas OE is a full premuim experience; noise cancelling head phones, called 'Mr' when served and a whole better deal.

I must be precious as I won't fly economy anything over 8 hours and I prefer to be able to stretch out and sleep in some sort of fashion. Millie, you go girl, spend that money and feel better about it.

Edited: 6:55 pm, February 09, 2013
Hong Kong, China
reviews: 138
10. Re: Virgin Premium Economy from Australia to Europe

I must be precious, too. I'm with those who say shop around for either a full premium economy ticket, or a cheap business class ticket. As you say, it's been 25 long years, reward yourself :)