We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa lounges in Frankfurt

Ottawa, Ontario
reviews: 21
Lufthansa lounges in Frankfurt

We just bought our tickets from Ottawa-Frankfurt-Basel. We have several hours stopover in Frankfurt in both directions. My husband is star alliance gold. We aren't flying first class. I have researched their websites and do know there are two types of lounges available for star alliance gold members. My question relates to the number of people permitted with the member in actual practice. For these two lounges, it states that the member can bring a companion. For other lounges it states the traveller can bring a companion and family. I realize that technically, our family (2 adults and 3 children) will not be permitted in the star alliance gold lounges. But in practice, has anyone been permitted to enter with family members? The rule is similar in many lounges but we've always been permitted to enter. Does anyone have any experiences in similar situations?

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 281
1. Re: Lufthansa lounges in Frankfurt

Lounges at FRA are usually packed. So they tend to apply the rules by the book. The rules are summarised there: lufthansa.com/ch/en/Lounge-types-and-access. My reading is for Star Alliance Gold Card holders (but not Miles And More): one companion in Lufthansa lounges. And that's it. So I am afraid you won't be allowed in...

Ottawa, Ontario
2. Re: Lufthansa lounges in Frankfurt

Thanks for the quick response. That's what we kind of expected but I was hoping. The kids are going to be so tired after travelling all night, the time changes, etc. Oh well, better prepared than not. We'll still likely try but we won't expect it. If we are permitted, it will be our first little bit of magic for our trip. :-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
3. Re: Lufthansa lounges in Frankfurt

You state you're not flying first class but you know that flying business class you can access the lounges?

Ottawa, Ontario
4. Re: Lufthansa lounges in Frankfurt

I know. We are, unfortunately, flying economy. Five people flying business was just outside our budget (tickets on Air Canada were four times the economy price of $6500). We're staying in Europe for five weeks so we needed to cut expenses somewhere and paying $20K for flights just wasn't happening.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
5. Re: Lufthansa lounges in Frankfurt

When we were in FRA last summer, the lounge was so packed, there was a long line going out the door for people waiting for admittance. Just awful. We got in, but there was no place to sit and you could hardly move.

They are very strict about the lounge rules at FRA, and with just one gold member, they won't allow your entire family in. But, it will be no great loss! This lounge is about the opposite of magic.

Edited: 11:06 am, February 08, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
6. Re: Lufthansa lounges in Frankfurt

I'm so surprised by this. My husband travels that route quite often and has had great experiences in the Senator lounges. (Star Alliance Gold has access to the Senator and Business lounges) That's why we were kind of hoping to be able to get in. There are places there were guests can nap until their next flight so we thought it might be good for the children. I guess it doesn't matter anyway if we can't get in.

7. Re: Lufthansa lounges in Frankfurt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 10, 2014