We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VISA obtaining procedure

USA
VISA obtaining procedure

I am from California. I am planning on a trip to South America in 3 weeks. I will be travelling for Business purpose. I have nothing planned, as of which all countries in SA, I will have to visit as a part of my work. It will be based on my work requirement at that point. I understand that there are a few countries that require VISA, prior to travel or arrival. Now my concern is , can I get VISAs for those countries while I am in a different country in SA by going to the embassy of the target country. For example., Argentina doesnt require a VISA for stay period less that 90 days, so while I am there, if I have to go to Brazil or Bolivia, Can I get a VISA from their embassies in Argentina. if yes what would be the procedure.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
1. Re: VISA obtaining procedure

I would check on the relevant Embassy websites.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
2. Re: VISA obtaining procedure

The latest trend in visas worldwide is the VOA, or Visa on Arrival, but the procedure will vary widely with each and every country. The embassy websites should have the latest data. I believe our State Dept's site also has relevant info on foreign documents needed.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 343
3. Re: VISA obtaining procedure

In general, a visa can only be obtained in the country of residence, with the obvious exception of visa on arrival. I use http://cibtvisas.com/ as preliminary source of information and found it quite reliable. The websites of the relevant embassies are of course also pretty reliable.

Edited: 10:19 am, February 08, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
4. Re: VISA obtaining procedure

+1 to what swissdiver says.

If you're traveling on business use a reputable visa agent in the US (and then if you can, expense it). CIBT is my company's contracted agent and are very good (if pricey). For visa requirements per country you can search the CIBT website and get the information without having to log in.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
5. Re: VISA obtaining procedure

Try the US State Department website

…state.gov/travel/…cis_pa_tw_1168.html

6. Re: VISA obtaining procedure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:36 am, June 12, 2013
South Pole
reviews: 38
7. Re: VISA obtaining procedure

"I use http://cibtvisas.com/ as preliminary source of information and found it quite reliable"

well the info on visas for uk visitors to australia is carp.

if they cant get a simple thing like that right how reliable is other advice.

better to use the gov. web sites of the countries involved.

8. Re: VISA obtaining procedure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 14, 2014