We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

European Flights: Should we wait or should I book

Toronto, Ontario...
reviews: 14
European Flights: Should we wait or should I book

Hello,

Short answer: Planning a trip in July 2013 where I will be flying into Paris, France, and flying out of Madrid, Spain. Ideally, I would like to book flights soon (received a quote for $1,100), but may have to delay until May 2013. Will it be costly to wait until May to book European air travel?

Long question: I am planning to attend a conference in Paris in July, so I thought I would extend my stay and travel around France and Spain. To make it more pleasurable, I am meeting a few friends in Paris, will spend a few days traveling solo in France, then meet my sister in Barcelona, Spain. The France side is pretty much planned; however, my sister just informed me that due to her job, she cannot book anything until May at the earliest, but she can guesstimate her arrival and departure dates.

I recently got a airline quote for $1,100 round-trip, and I question if the price will get better closer to the season. Should I wait until May (when my sister's travel dates are certain) or should I book soon with the off chance that my sister and I will have to leave at different times (and different airlines).

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 75
1. Re: European Flights: Should we wait or should I book

As July is peak holiday time then I would expect the flights to get more expensive nearer the time, though if the airlines have more empty seats than expected then the reverse might happen. Inter EU flights to from Spain will go up once the school holidays start

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
2. Re: European Flights: Should we wait or should I book

Waiting could easily double the cost of July tix - why does everyone need to travel in June or July?

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
3. Re: European Flights: Should we wait or should I book

I have noticed prices to Europe seem really high this summer. Agree, the longer you wait, the higher they will be. Personally, I would have jumped on the $1100 fare. Is there some reason you must fly with your sister? I am thinking waiting is really going to cost you.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
4. Re: European Flights: Should we wait or should I book

Booking flights 101 : When you see tickets at a price you're content to pay, buy them, then stop looking. If the price goes up, it does not matter, if down, you will not be upset!

As to your supplementary - I'm sorry, but do not let your sister's work issues stop you planning your own holiday.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
5. Re: European Flights: Should we wait or should I book

If your travel dates for departure from YYZ and return there are firm then book the air ticket now.

If you plan to travel by rail in France then have a look at www.voyages-sncf.com about 12 weeks in advance for a good choice of train times and fares. If you plan to take the trenhotel from Paris to Barcelona then check the SNCF website or www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

London, United...
reviews: 47
6. Re: European Flights: Should we wait or should I book

A lot depends on how important it is to you that you meet your sister in Barcelona. What happens if you book now, and then she can't get the right dates?

New Delhi, India
reviews: 23
7. Re: European Flights: Should we wait or should I book

Fares for July travel to the EU are likely to be substantially higher in May. Prices for flexible tickets will also be much higher now. $1100 is an attractive price. The rest of the stuff has to be thought out by you given the information on likely ticket price rise closer to date of travel.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 130
8. Re: European Flights: Should we wait or should I book

Sorry, sis -- I would totally jump on this $1100 deal.

9. Re: European Flights: Should we wait or should I book

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 11, 2014