We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?

London, United...
reviews: 47
Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?

I've just received my new e-passport, and nearly sent it back for being faulty.

I renewed it early because the photo in my old passport (taken and printed by myself) was very faded. The photo in my new one is worse, I can barely make it out.

When I saw the page opposite the identity details, I thought someone had left some wet printing across the page.

Honestly, it just looks a complete mess. However, a did a search on images, and apparently it's supposed to look like that. Who on earth designed it, and how much were they paid?

It seems that the microchip in the passport contains a "proper" photograph - but I'm still not convinced I'll get out of the country and into another one with it.

38 replies to this topic
Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
1. Re: Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?

E passport have been around for years now, the microchip holds all the important information, millions of people a year travel using these, there wont be any issues.

:-)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
2. Re: Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?

< The photo in my new one is worse, I can barely make it out. >

My GF had photos done professionally for her. The passport still made her look like a zombie - which admittedly most people do when they get off a flight

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
3. Re: Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?

I've got one and the photo looks poor quality but not had any problems using it.

Oxford, United...
reviews: 122
4. Re: Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?

I got mine done in October last year ...... I was surprised too, my husband has a chip one, but its a few years old now. But the most recent ones make the photo quality look rubbish ...... I don't think it matters if your photo was done by a professional or by a booth. It is the quality of the print which is odd.

The details/photo pages are also at the front now too.

The older e passports are the same as the normal old ones except for the chip but the one OP is talking about (new e-passports) is pants quality for the pic.

Edited: 6:47 am, February 08, 2013
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 105
5. Re: Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?

Just checked my passport photo too after reading this - it is quite dark compared to my previous photo but I've never been questioned over it yet.

australia
reviews: 17
6. Re: Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?

Ours have one photo and then the same image but faded on the same page next to the photo.

I used the retina scan to come back into the country last trip and it let me through. I had to take my glasses off which I find rather funny as I am wearing glasses in the photo.

Colchester, United...
reviews: 39
7. Re: Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?

Mine is the same but everytime I have used the 'fast track' passport lines at the airport I've had no problems. When it is scanned, your fully coloured original photo pops up and it is this that is used for facial recognition and allowing you into the country (I believe)

Magog, Canada
reviews: 456
8. Re: Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?

The retina scan does not compare your face to the photo. I compares your retina to the one on file. Sort of like fingerprint. This is why it is called "retina" scan. So you often need to take off your glasses so that the machine can read your retina properly.

Colchester, United...
reviews: 39
9. Re: Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?

Okay so what I don't understand then is how they get your retina information to then be saved onto the chip? I've only ever had my retina scanned on entry to the USA I think (whatever they do with that webcam looking thing), not when applying for my passport.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 105
10. Re: Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?

You need to register with the UK Border Agency. Although I've heard that it will no longer be available and is no longer available for registration.

…homeoffice.gov.uk/customs-travel/…

Reply to: Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted