We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson reserved seating

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Thomson reserved seating

Hi all, just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem we've just experienced with Thomson? we booked and paid for reserve seating, had the conformation email too, but when we boarded we not only found our seats "given" to other people, but were told there's no refund either !! they say (and this was also confirmed in writing from head office) that there is no such thing as "reserve" seating, despite it plastered all over their site and brochures, they say it's only a "request" , the actual seat allocation, whether you've paid for a certain seat or not, is the prerogative of the check in desl ! in short there's no point in pre booking your seat, it doesn't guarantee your seat and ya wont get yer money back !

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
13,163 posts
195 reviews
1. Re: Thomson reserved seating

Did you still have a copy of confirmation of the seats you requested? And your boarding cards showing your actual seats?

Thomson also class seats across the aisle as adjacent seats, so it has been known for passengers who requested two seats next to each other to be seated across an aisle.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Thomson reserved seating

Hi sunmagic, I took the email confirmation onto the aircraft and gave it to the stewardess, she said it meant nothing, even the head cabin steward said the same thing, I protested again to the land based rep at th resort who said she would make sure it wouldn't happen on the return flight, but it did, again the flight staff said the email was/is meaningless, although it says "reserved" it means request, I even wrote giving all deatils to the after holiday team at Thomsons head office and have a letter back from them stating it's no guarantee of seats and I wont get a refund !

My latest port of call is trading standards and the office of fair trading, who both say I have a case against Thomson, 1, for breach of contract 2, for miss selling

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
27,172 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Thomson reserved seating

No airlines guarantee seat numbers!

It says in the A-Z info in their brochures "In some circumstances we may have to change your seat. This would only be for operational, safety or security reasons. If we do have to change your seat we'll try to keep it as close to what you booked as possible. Seats together may be across and aisle or behind each other. A similar position means the same type of seat- window, aisle etc. A refund will only be offered if we can't seat your group together and in a similar position to your original request. In such cases, we ask that you keep a copy of your confirmation documents, and boarding cards.

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
9,943 posts
110 reviews
4. Re: Thomson reserved seating

Steve, I'm just at the point of wondering whether to pre-book seats together on an upcoming Thomson flight. Presumably it was the actual reserved seat numbers they didn't honour? Did they still seat you together as a matter of interest?

I'm not entirely sure if you pay for seats together or more for actual numbered seat allocation?

In any case, it's poor practice. Moving people for operational reasons is one thing but it sounds like they made no effort at all to oblige your pre-paid allocated seats with them.

Don't know whether to bother pre-booking 3 seats together now? I'm not bothered about specific seats but we have a son with special needs who can not be separated from us. Your experience concerns me.

Jules

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Thomson reserved seating

Whatever way you read it, i's still breach of contract, you can't advertise and offer a service that the customer pays for, then withdraw the service and offer no refund and use "small print" as the reason why !

Why do they advertise "reserve" your seat when they actually mean you can request a seat, but there's no gaurantee you'll get it or your money back? Missrepresentation, Breach of Contract, Misselling, call it what you like it's poor practise and one i'm on a crusade about

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Thomson reserved seating

Hi Jule, we specificaly booked two adjacent isle seats, on the outbound flight we were told a family of 4 ( who got to check in before us) wanted to sit together, so they had our seats, on the return the only reason given was the customers wanted two adjacent isle seats, so they gave them ours.

I have no objection to this if it were for operational reasons, but it wasn't

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
9,943 posts
110 reviews
7. Re: Thomson reserved seating

Steve, I thought they organised the seating arrangements in advance but it sounds like 'first come, first served!' Loudest demand wins.

If they must impose these 'pre-flight anxiety add on charges' the very least they could do is honour them!

Jules

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Thomson reserved seating

Absolutely, the reply I had from Thomson, written by a Terry Gibson, Customer Support states " Once this supplement has been paid you can then go online and select your seat numbers (which is what we did, 60 days prior to flight) which are requested and not guranteed"

Rip off or what !

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
27,172 posts
51 reviews
9. Re: Thomson reserved seating

Steve, no airline will guarantee your seat numbers.

When booking a flight it states "If you pay extra to reserve seats together, you’ll get to choose your seat numbers at no further charge. We’ll give you details on how to do this within your confirmation email."

On a package holiday "Select Your Seat Terms & Conditions:

-Reserved seats together could be seats behind each other or across an aisle

-If you decide to use the select your seat service, once booked, seats can't be changed

-Seating choices can't always be guaranteed as they are subject to availability and restrictions and may change due to operational, safety or security reasons

-Select your Seat Service is provided using the Civil Aviation Authority guidelines

-In the event we have to change your seat, we'll endeavour to seat you in a suitable alternative

-A refund will only be offered if we can’t seat your group together and in a similar position to your original request

-Available on most Thomson Airways flights"

Not sure where the Missrepresentation, Breach of Contract, Misselling, comes into it. It's quite clear.

Thomsons pre-allocate all prebooked seats onto the manifest before check in opens, so if the check in agent told you that they moved you so other people could sit in your seats then maybe there was a reason these people needed aisle seats?

10. Re: Thomson reserved seating

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:12 pm, February 07, 2013