We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book two separate tickets

Hampton Rhoads
Book two separate tickets

I'd like to book a flt out of IAD for LHR with a connecting flt out of LGW to VCE and have my checked bag checked throught to VCE. Possible?

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
1. Re: Book two separate tickets

No. Even on one ticket you'd have to re-check your luggage since you'll have a change of airport.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
2. Re: Book two separate tickets

This would just be a PITA. Changing airports means getting a coach/cab (at your own expense) between LHR and LGW and you really need to allow at least 4 hours between flights.

Also no way to check bags through.

Why don't you look at KLM from IAD to AMS the on to Venice or Via Brussels? Or at least if you are flying BA then only connect in LHR.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 263
3. Re: Book two separate tickets

And don't go for two separate tickets! A single ticket allows you to check your luggage through and secure the connexion should the first flight be late.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
4. Re: Book two separate tickets

Although the minimum (stress that word) connection time between LHR and LGW is three hours and Ronaldo suggested four, I'd say plan on five hours between flights, mostly because LHR is busy and the M25 can be a destroyer of holidays.

Single fare on National Express coach is £25 which will add to the cost of the ticket (and might negate any savings by flying from LGW), so it's really something to consider only if other options aren't feasible.

KLM to AMS isn't a bad idea. Schiphol is big but easy for connections.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
5. Re: Book two separate tickets

A single ticket allows you to check your luggage through

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not true when you arrive at LHR and depart from LGW.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 263
6. Re: Book two separate tickets

Agree, Hans. But that was already mentioned in reply #1 and #2. And this is why we are all discouraging the OP from making a LHR-LGW connection.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
7. Re: Book two separate tickets

OP: A couple of years ago you had another question relating to transfer at LHR on two separate tickets. Unless your trip involves an Avios booking I don't understand why you don't book a single ticket instead and protect yourself against a missed connection?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
8. Re: Book two separate tickets

< Not true when you arrive at LHR and depart from LGW. >

Are there any cases where a change of airport doesn't mean collecting & rechecking luggage yourself?

Madrid
reviews: 7
9. Re: Book two separate tickets

Not that I know of.

australia
reviews: 17
10. Re: Book two separate tickets

There is a BA216 flight that leaves IAD at 19:15 has a 2h 20min layover in LHR arriving at Venice 11:45

No need to go to Gatwick or as others have said use a different airline and transit hub