We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wrong title (Ms instead of Mr)

reviews: 1
Wrong title (Ms instead of Mr)

I'm planning an international trip from Houston to Istanbul to London and back to Houston. I noticed my e-ticket says Ms instead of Mr....Airline says they cannot guarantee it won't be a problem since it is not up to them when it comes to boarding/check-in. Does anyone know if will this be a problem, or have a similar experience?

Thanks!

20 replies to this topic
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 263
1. Re: Wrong title (Ms instead of Mr)

Do wear a skirt! :-) More seriously, I had the problem more than once and no one ever created a problem. But I would not see this as good enough.

The gender is technically part of the API and not the PNR (https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/security/facilitation/pages/index.aspx for what it stands for). So I would first ask the airline to change this (I understand you tried). If not possible (for whatever reason), go to the airline website in the "manage my bookings" section. There should be an API section where hopefully you could change the gender.

2. Re: Wrong title (Ms instead of Mr)

I've tried modifying the API online, but it also asks me for a visa information, which I do not have. The trip is to London where I don't need a visa ( I'm American) , the layover is in Istanbul (where I would need a visa only if I decide to leave the airport during that time).

Can this API be modified elsewhere or should I try getting a visa for Turkey closer to my trip? (Trip is in May/June and the visa lasts for 3months, so I've read)

Thanks!

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
3. Re: Wrong title (Ms instead of Mr)

Titles aren't important, your passport doesn't have a title on it, just your names, as long as your names match your passport you will be fine.

:-)

Edited: 11:23 am, February 06, 2013
Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 125
4. Re: Wrong title (Ms instead of Mr)

I doubt you'll have a problem but I would contact the airline again as sometimes it depends on who you find when you call.

Jacksonville...
reviews: 199
5. Re: Wrong title (Ms instead of Mr)

This happens to me quite often. No idea why, as Ben isn't exactly a female name. Never bothered me about it though--never had a problem.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
6. Re: Wrong title (Ms instead of Mr)

So Istanbul is not your final destination... If the continuation is on another ticket, you will have to collect your luggage and check in again, so you'll be asked to show a visa (or a foreign passport not requiring a visa) at check-in in Houston. Airlines are picky since they carry the burden of flying back any refused passenger.

7. Re: Wrong title (Ms instead of Mr)

Ben - has this happened to you on international flights?

Swissdiver - No, ultimately the trip is from Houston to London with a layover in Istanbul. All flown by Turkish Airlines.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
8. Re: Wrong title (Ms instead of Mr)

OK. Sorry it was not obvious, your routing being quite indirect (8000nm - http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=Iah-ist-lhr instead of less than 5000nm - http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=Iah-lhr)! So no visa required unless you want to exit the airport.

Liverpool, United...
reviews: 22
9. Re: Wrong title (Ms instead of Mr)

crazy route to go to london 4hrs past and then 4hrs back extra 8/10 hrs on your flight

10. Re: Wrong title (Ms instead of Mr)

Sorry for the confusion! I got an extremely good deal on these tickets, which is the reason I didn't fly direct.

I've been told that the title doesn't print on the boarding passes so I'm just weary of the airport check-ins and being denied boarding

Reply to: Wrong title (Ms instead of Mr)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted