We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using a camera during take and landing.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 25
Using a camera during take and landing.

Hi All

Can anyone answer me this.....

On planes, both domestic and OS routes, passengers are asked to turn off phones and gaming and electrical devices during take off and landing, and to switch to 'flight mode' for use during travel, so as not to cause any interference to the 'stuff' that makes the plane fly.

What about cameras? Are cameras electrical devices, or are they digital? Is there any difference? I'm talking here a DSLR camera. A camera that is just a camera, not a camera in a phone.

I would like to use my camera during take off and landing and get some video footage, but won't if it is a device that would interfere with the plane.

I could ask the FA when next I fly, but if any body has info on this that would be great.

Thanks

Gale

Melbourne, Australia
1. Re: Using a camera during take and landing.

Re title.....

I meant take off and landing

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: Using a camera during take and landing.

It counts as an electronic device and is therefore not allowed. I've seen some nice videos and time lapse playbacks of flights including taxi and takeoff/landing, but strictly speaking those people were breaking the rules.

Edited: 1:23 am, February 06, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 15
3. Re: Using a camera during take and landing.

Until further notice, use of those devices isn't allowed. Whether or not a camera can transmit and cause problems for flight deck communication is one thing, but perhaps more germane is that pax who are concentrating on taking pictures during wheels up and wheels down are distracted.

If something were to happen during take off or landing and the plane had to execute a quick manoeuvre or pax were asked to brace, a person taking pictures (or listening to an iPod or watching a movie on an iPad) might not respond as quickly as others.

We all hope that our flights will be trouble-free, but for those brief times at take off and landing if our full attention is required then that's what we should give.

Melbourne, Australia
4. Re: Using a camera during take and landing.

Thanks USBusinessReveller

I too have seen some great video footage on take off and landing and wanted to have a go at producing my own.

If the camera is an electronic device then I guess it would be breaking the rules and wrong to do so.

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 5
5. Re: Using a camera during take and landing.

Totally agree with traveller plus! Annoys the hell out of me people who continue to talk during the safety demo. There probably the very ones who would impede the safe exit of the rest of us in an emergency when they suddenly realise they don't know where the nearest exit is because they've been too busy chatting. As for electrical devices if the crew are telling us not to use them then we shouldn't, I agree a good video of a take off and landing is good to watch on you tube etc but it should be a no no.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 793
6. Re: Using a camera during take and landing.

well I have just broken the rules, in early January took some pics after takeoff but before the seat belt signs went off,got some great pics of the sunrise over Glasgow.

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
7. Re: Using a camera during take and landing.

They have sun in Glasgow?? Id have broken the rules to see that!!

:-)

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 793
8. Re: Using a camera during take and landing.

no ,but I was above the clouds by then, cloud ceiling would have been about 500feet.

Edited: 5:15 am, February 06, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
reviews: 9
9. Re: Using a camera during take and landing.

You best asking the air stewardess, if you can take photos

I asked my self, and was told, they would prefer, that you dont take photo of out side the plane, as taking of, but the choice was up to you, they made me aware of the safety issue, they need your full attention

So I took my photo, video of manchester airport taking of, some picture landing

picture when taking of from marco polo airport, venice

Magog, Canada
reviews: 624
10. Re: Using a camera during take and landing.

It is unclear that electronic devices do any harm but these are the rules in any case.

…nytimes.com/2011/…