We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I reserve seats on a Ryan air flight?

Witney, United...
reviews: 1
Should I reserve seats on a Ryan air flight?

I have been reading such mixed reports that i'm unsure as to what to do when flying with Ryan air, can anyone offer some help please?.

I am a mum with 4 children and will be taking them on my own on a plane to Spain, from what I can make out the seating on these planes are in rows of 3 is that correct? So ideally I would sit with 2 of them in a row and the remaining 2 could sit in the row in front of me, do you think I should reserve seats or do priority boarding? Some people I have spoken to have said not to bother as they aren't likely to want various children dotted about the plane unaccompanied and will be keen for us to sit together , but is this true? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

43 replies to this topic
London UK
1. Re: Should I reserve seats on a Ryan air flight?

To be on the safe side you should reserve the seats. Or at least do Priority Boarding which lets you get on early to choose your own seats. It you do the PB option though, make sure you are early to the gate. I have seen people buy PB then come last to the gate when it is useless.

The crew may ensure that you all sit together or they may not. It really all depends on the crew and how much time and effort they are prepared to spend on the issue. They don't HAVE to move other people to accomodate families so it will probably depend upon how busy they are at the time.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
2. Re: Should I reserve seats on a Ryan air flight?

You dont say how old the children are and this could have a bearing on the issue.

Personally I would most definately reserve seats. If it was just you and one child then that probably wouldn't be a problem but as you say, you will be looking for four seats on two adjacent rows. If the flight was anywhere near full it would probably be difficult to find two adjoining rows with two vacant seats on each. If your children are very young, Priority Boarding might not be the answer as other (adult) passengers may well be quicker across the tarmac than you.

Crew may or may not be willing to assist you but even if they are, how would they help if the plane was pretty full ? Ask other passengers to give up their seats to accommodate you ? This is a subject that has been debated at length on this forum and I agree with many who would be reluctant to exchange their chosen seat, some would have paid to reserve or paid for PB and boarded the plane ahead of you.

The only sure way is to pay for reserved seats. This would of course remove pressure and stress from you.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
3. Re: Should I reserve seats on a Ryan air flight?

Rather than having 2 children in each row have three children in one row and the fourth child with you in the row behind. This will make it easier to control them - and ensure that someone doesn't end up with your children

Witney, United...
4. Re: Should I reserve seats on a Ryan air flight?

Good advice coming in thanks, keep it coming!! my Children are aged 12, 8, 8 and 7yrs. I think the thought of removing excess pressure from me would be most beneficial and I assume if i was to reserve seats then i haven't got to worry then about getting to the boarding gate exceptionally early to ensure i board the plane first, giving us more time to enjoy breakfast in the airport before boarding, (flight is at 06:45) I assume if i was to pitch up anytime during boarding I would be guaranteed my seats if reserved in advance??

Next question having looked at RA reserved seat policy it states 'reserved seat in row 2, 5, 15' are available now in my case of requiring two rows this could be an issue or does a row encompass the seats either side of the aisle, sorry for so many questions.

Oxford, United...
reviews: 122
5. Re: Should I reserve seats on a Ryan air flight?

I'd reserve seats just to be on the safe side.

Why not have rows next to each other, stick the 2 8 year olds window/middle and the 12 year old in the aisle seat and then you can sit on the opposite aisle seat with the 7 year old. You can see them and they can see you the whole way.

There is always a chance you could get split up and some people won't swap with you because you didn't pre-book and people prefer aisles/windows etc.

Witney, United...
6. Re: Should I reserve seats on a Ryan air flight?

Many thanks again....

I booked the holiday through 'on the beach' and having just looked at my reservation on there website I can only see the option to add priority boarding any ideas how I would go about doing reserved seating instead?

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
7. Re: Should I reserve seats on a Ryan air flight?

You will probably have to go through On the Beach to get this done. If it can't be done online, call them. Don't let Ryanair know that you booked through a 3rd party, it's against their terms and conditions and you risk having your tickets cancelled.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
8. Re: Should I reserve seats on a Ryan air flight?

< I assume if i was to pitch up anytime during boarding I would be guaranteed my seats if reserved in advance?? >

I would assume that you run a real risk of being denied boarding as you weren't at the gate in time

Northampton, United...
reviews: 5
9. Re: Should I reserve seats on a Ryan air flight?

I really wouldn't worry about it and not fall for the additional fares Ryanair charges...

They only offer reservations for a few rows and this is going to be quite costly for six of you on a return flight.

Just be sure to be at the correct boarding gate in good time and aim to be in the front half of the queue. Also at MOST Ryanair airports, families with children will be able to board before the rest of the passengers and just after the priority boarding passengers.

Also head to the back steps of the plane, as for some reason, most people try to board via the front ones. I am about 95% sure, you will be able to get seated together in two rows of three seats together.

Ryanair sell all these extras, to try and reassure people, when there is no real need.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
10. Re: Should I reserve seats on a Ryan air flight?

"Also at MOST Ryanair airports, families with children will be able to board before the rest of the passengers and just after the priority boarding passengers."

That's not my experience. I've seen people with small children be sent to the back of the line more than once. Admittedly it's 8 months since my last Ryanair flight so maybe they've changed their boarding policies?

That said, I agree that if the OP start queing early, the risk of not getting seats together is very small.

Reply to: Should I reserve seats on a Ryan air flight?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted