We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newcastle>Heathrow>Vancouver Customers/Immigration Question

Roseville, Michigan
reviews: 1
Newcastle>Heathrow>Vancouver Customers/Immigration Question

My niece is a UK Citizen and is flying from Newcastle to Vancouver, connecting in Heathrow. I heard she may have to go through Customs & Immigration in Heathrow before she boards the flight to Canada. This does not sound right to me - I would think she would not encounterCustoms/Immigration until she hits Canadian soil. I need to know so that we can allow her enough time in Heathrow to connect.

Anyone know a definitive answer on this?

Madrid
reviews: 7
1. Re: Newcastle>Heathrow>Vancouver Customers/Immigration Question

She will clear immigration and customs upon arrival at Vancouver.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
2. Re: Newcastle>Heathrow>Vancouver Customers/Immigration Question

There'll be no customs/immigration until she reaches Vancouver.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
3. Re: Newcastle>Heathrow>Vancouver Customers/Immigration Question

There are no formal border checks on exiting the UK. There will be a quick passport check along with the boarding pass check at the departure gate; G4S staff along with ground agents ensure all is in order before one can board.

If your niece hasn't booked flights yet, please have her allow more than the minimum connection time, even if she flies with BA all the way and makes a T5 to T5 connection. Her flight to YVR will depart from a satellite terminal building; some of the gates are a brisk 15 minute walk / transit ride from the main terminal building. If she books LHR to YVR with AC she will need to allow at least two hours to make her way from T5 to T3.

BA crew hand out Canada Customs declaration cards en route to YVR; I suspect AC will do the same.

UK
reviews: 88
4. Re: Newcastle>Heathrow>Vancouver Customers/Immigration Question

I need to know so that we can allow her enough time in Heathrow to connect.

======

Not really, unless you are planning on booking it as two separate tickets, which is a BAD idea. Not to say you might not want to allow a little extra time than the 1 hour minimum but other than prudence for a flight delay, you have no reason to allow longer.

Whoever you heard this from, worry about what else they are telling you :-)

Roseville, Michigan
reviews: 1
5. Re: Newcastle>Heathrow>Vancouver Customers/Immigration Question

Thanks everyone for your responses; it's really appreciated. As it is - my cousin has booked the tickets and they have 1 hour 50 mins at Heathrow - hopefully it will be enough time. Should be if all goes to plan. :)

6. Re: Newcastle>Heathrow>Vancouver Customers/Immigration Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 07, 2014