We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomas Cook Flight Delays

Manchester, United...
reviews: 30
Thomas Cook Flight Delays

When we went to Cuba last year we had a 23 hour delay – basically our flight set off from Manchester but then an hour and a half in, it had to turn back to Manchester because of engine problems. I’ve done a fair bit of research and found out that this aircraft has had numerous engine problems and this situation has happened with other flights. I’m in contact with people from a flight to Las Vegas that was supposed to fly out the day after us – they had a 32 hour delay as we were given their original plane to finally get us out, then they were given our broken plane 12 hours later – boarded it, then got told it was still broken, and had to disembark! This story ended up in the Manchester Evening News, and Thomas Cook told the Manchester Evening News that the aircraft had no history of defects, therefore it was truly extraordinary circumstances that caused the delay therefore these customers still aren’t entitled to any compensation!

The following flight delays were caused by this planes engine problems:

-26th October 2012 – aircraft registration G-OMYT took off from London to Florida. Engine problems meant that the aircraft was diverted to Iceland, holiday makers spent first night of their holiday in Iceland rather than Florida.

-9th November - aircraft registration G-OMYT took off from Manchester to Cayo Coco in Cuba (our flight), an engine problem an hour and a half into the flight resulted in this flight turning back to Manchester and passengers facing a 23 hour delay.

-10th November – passengers on the Manchester to Las Vegas flight were delayed as we were given their plane as a replacement for G-OMYT. They were later given G-OMYT but the flight was unable to take off due to engine problems. Thomas Cook has refused compensation to passengers from the Las Vegas flight citing “extraordinary circumstances” and told the Manchester Evening News that the aircraft had no prior history of defects. This is a blatant and very public lie.

-17th November – registration G-OMYT took off from Manchester to Cancun, Mexico; again 75 minutes into the flight this aircraft had an engine problem and had to turn back to Manchester, once again causing passengers to be delayed.

Was anyone on any of these flights and if so are you claiming compensation from Thomas Cook and how much luck have you had with this? We have submitted all this evidence to TC and are chasing up a response but have just had 2 letters asking for more time for them to investigate this.

113 replies to this topic
Tamworth, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
reviews: 8
1. Re: Thomas Cook Flight Delays

Is this link helpful?

tripadvisor.co.uk/…46910699

It was on TA a couple of days ago.

Cheshire, England
reviews: 2
2. Re: Thomas Cook Flight Delays

Hi

We were on the Vegas flight (you took our plane !!!) - only joking. Been in constant dialogue with Thomas Cook since November and have been constantly fobbed off. They are citing exceptional circumstances for not having to pay out.

I am now deliberating whether to go legal with it.

wirral
reviews: 72
3. Re: Thomas Cook Flight Delays

Best to put it all behind you and get on with the rest of your life.Too much frustration and anguish caused by pursuing "points of principle". (Good dinner party conversation topic though especially if a lawyer takes your case on.)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
4. Re: Thomas Cook Flight Delays

SuzB1982,

Is this the link to the MEN article? - manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-man…

Reading that article, it appears that the problem with the LAS flight was fixed within 90 minutes, and so the flight would not have been delayed by 3 hours had it not been for (a) the deplaning of certain passengers and unloading of their luggage, and then (b) the intervention of US Customs in denying the flight a landing slot. I have to say I've never heard of CBP denying a landing slot at an airport for a flight with a short delay (especially a long haul). But, if that was a genuine factor, and TC had no control over that, then that does create a grey area as far as extraordinary circumstances go (for the LAS flight).

In YOUR case - the Havana flight - it sounds like an open and shut case of a delay due to a mechanical problem. You're doing the right thing in pursuing the claim under EU261. If TC denies the claim citing extraordinary circumstances then they have to state the reason, and if you don't accept it then you can escalate to the Civil Aviation Authority for their investigation and recommendation. If the CAA says compensation is due, and the airline still fails to pay, then it's off to Small Claims I'm afraid.

airpassengerrights.eu/en/how-to-complain.html

Edited: 10:53 pm, February 13, 2013
Manchester, United...
reviews: 30
5. Re: Thomas Cook Flight Delays

Hi CJ33, are you aware that there are a group from your Vegas flight pursuing legal action as a group? They have a Facebook page for this called Man SinCity Veg. There is a lot of useful information on there.

Cheshire, England
6. Re: Thomas Cook Flight Delays

Hi SuzB

Yes - I've sent a friend request to join the group. TC will still deny everything though...........

Wirral Scouse - I understand your point but why should Thomas Cook get away with fobbing people off by playing the sent them a standard letter game?

We lost 2 days of our 7 day holiday. Lawyers always use the word reasonable. I think 2 days out of 7 is a reasonable length of time don't you?

I understand that Thomas Cook don't have spare Airbus A330's knocking about to replace those that break. If they provided me with a reasonable explanation for the delay I might accept it but the exceptional circumstances clause is a get out clause for them.

I bet everyone who sends TC a letter of complaint about a flight delay receives the same standard response citing exceptional circumstances.

Chelmsford, United...
7. Re: Thomas Cook Flight Delays

My family and I were on the flight that was diverted to Keflavik on 26th October. We were held on the runway for 45 minutes at Gatwick whilst engineers worked on the right hand engine. Mid Atlantic we heard 2 loud bangs then were told that due to engine failure of the right hand engine we were to be diverted to Iceland. We then had to suffer a 2+ hour flight to Iceland on one engine! Very frightening. We had to stay overnight in Iceland then resumed our journey the next day on another aircraft, finally arriving in Sanford 32 hours later. I have submitted a complaint to Thomas Cook but extraordinary circumstances have again been cited. Seems they cite this for any issue they receive complaints about in the hope that customers will give up. I have requested they explain why this was deemed as extraordinary and am waiting for a reply. Thomas Cook seem to take ages to respond to any complaint so hopefully I'll get a reply before Christmas!!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: Thomas Cook Flight Delays

961tigger,

If you haven't already done so, complete the complaint form provided by the EU. Then send it to TC again requesting a response within 28 days. Keep at least two copies of everything you send - …europa.eu/transport/themes/passengers/air/d…

If you don't hear a response, or you receive an unsatisfactory one, send the same complaint (all those copies you kept) to the CAA. - …europa.eu/transport/themes/passengers/air/d…

They will give their verdict as to whether compensation should be provided, and if so request it from TC. If TC doesn't oblige then it's Small Claims.

Edited: 3:01 pm, February 20, 2013
Cheshire, England
9. Re: Thomas Cook Flight Delays

Tigger

Seems that we are both going to get the runaround from Thomas Cook!

At least you had one engine left to get you to Iceland............It's when they both go you worry.

That's why I like 747's - four engines on them!

Chelmsford, United...
10. Re: Thomas Cook Flight Delays

Us business traveller, thank you for your information, I will do that.

CJ33 every time I see the advert that says 'mums gone to Iceland' I get flashbacks!

For the whole time between mid Atlantic and Iceland I prayed that the one remaining engine would not give up the ghost! Every noise and rumble made me pray and I'm not even religious!

Thank you both again.

Reply to: Thomas Cook Flight Delays
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted