We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberia - New strikes announced

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
for Almeria, Province of Almeria, Province of Almeria
reviews: 81
Iberia - New strikes announced

Five Iberia strikes in second half of February

IBERIA employees have announced their planned strikes will commence on Friday, February 15 and at least five will take place before the end of the month.

Pilots, cabin crew and ground staff intend to down tools for 24 hours at a time after negotiations between unions and airline bosses failed.

They will consult firstly with the inter-confederal mediation and arbitration service (SIMA) which is heading up talks between the company and its workers, to tell them of their 'last resort – conflict'.

“We will explain to SIMA about the broken promises we have seen and the steps we intend to take to protect our jobs and the future of Iberia,” said a spokesperson.

They put forward proposals to the airline which included increasing productivity and pilots taking a 26-per-cent pay-cut, with new staff being paid 50 per cent less, among other measures.

But these were rejected out of hand by the company, which plans to make over 4,500 employees redundant and cut down on fleet and flight routes to return the firm to profit after having accumulated losses of 300 million euros in 2012.

Faced with workers' proposals, Iberia managers threatened to wind up the firm, which pilots and other staff call 'blackmail'.

“We shall continue to fight for an agreement on Iberia's future will all the legal, social and political weapons we have within our reach, and will give everything we've got to protect the airline, given how important it is for society and tourism,” said a union representative and employee.

The holding company IAG, the result of the merger between Iberia and British Airways, denies that the management has refused to negotiate with workers.

Manager Willie Walsh said: “Iberia continues to be ready and willing to negotiate with the unions.

“We are determined and united in preparation to implement the changes necessary for the survival and future viability of Iberia.”

At least five strikes – but possibly more – will take place between February 15 and 28 this year.

Source: Think Spain

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
1. Re: Iberia - New strikes announced

Strikes never solve anything, just makes people choose more reliable airlines like what happened to Alitalia, but anyway thanks for the info it will be important for people who have bookings.

Surrey UK
reviews: 25
2. Re: Iberia - New strikes announced

Thanks for posting. Presumably if this involves ground staff then it could affect other airlines?

I am flying Madrid to London on 18 Feb on an Iberia ticket but a BA operated flight.

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
3. Re: Iberia - New strikes announced

Yes Iberia ground staff handle a lot of the check ins and baggage etc for most of the airlines using Madrid. There are other baggage handlers at Madrid but as Iberia and BA are one company it will be Iberia ground staff to handle your flight. They have only notified 15th as the first strike day and must declare the other days soon, its a legal requirement. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the 18th isnt one of the next strike days.

Watertown, MA
reviews: 10
4. Re: Iberia - New strikes announced

VicNorthhampton

I am scheduled to fly Madrid to Venice on the 15th (after overnight flight from Boston)

is there a chance the strike will not happen? What is the best news source to keep up on this?

thank you so much

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
5. Re: Iberia - New strikes announced

15th is a strike date. They have gone back to arbitration so, as happened in December, there is a slim chance it is called off, but I doubt it, both sides are digging in for a long fight.

If flying with Iberia or B.A. it will effect you. If flying with other aitlines it depends who the ground support for them is. If Iberia you may have a problem, if they use Aena even then there could be delays and cancelations that could effect you and getting on the connection flight complicates that.

Talk to your airline/s they may already have a plan in place as this was expected. Or they may just cancel the flights!

Look at 'El Pais' (web pages for newspaper that are in English) and back on here for new posts as things develop.

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 90
6. Re: Iberia - New strikes announced

Frankly sorry for anybody caught up in this affair but an airline losing a million euros or so a day cant last Willie Walsh is simply trying to bring up to date out of date work practices which seem to affect Iberia.

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
7. Re: Iberia - New strikes announced

We must confine ourseves to the situation effecting travelers. This is not a political forum. If we go off topic too far to discuss the whys and wherefores of it TA may close the thread I fear.

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
8. Re: Iberia - New strikes announced

Courtesy of

tripadvisor.co.uk/members-forums/Casa_Santo_…

on the Spain forum ----

Now we have the dates: This is in Spanish:

lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/economia/2013/02/0…

8 to 22 February 2013.

4 to 8 March 2013.

18 to 22 March 2013.

I will state that sometimes that strikes have been called called off at the last minute. If it is then it will be published here.

Should also add that there will a minimum service provide as the Spanish law states

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
9. Re: Iberia - New strikes announced

Try this link... didnt copy above

lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/economia/2013/02/0…

Watertown, MA
reviews: 10
10. Re: Iberia - New strikes announced

VicNorthhampton,

Thank you so much for the links but I am confused about the dates for February.

I looked at the link you provided above and also El Pais (English and Spanish) and the dates I saw were 18 to 22nd of Feb.

I didn't see the 15th as the first day of the strike. Am I looking at the wrong article?

thank you again!