We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

teen going through heathrow alone

teen going through heathrow alone

My 18 year old son will be flying British Airways to Italy going though Heathrow. We have taken a couple international flights as a family, but he never flew alone. He has 2 hr 15 min between flights. I've heard Heathrow is daunting. I would appreciate any opinions on this. Thank you!!

London, United...
reviews: 47
1. Re: teen going through heathrow alone

deleted - on re-reading I see it's about going through as a transit passenger.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 40
2. Re: teen going through heathrow alone

Where is the flight originating from, which airlines are involved for all flights, and is the ticket booked as one ticket with one PNR/reference number and just an aircraft change at LHR or not? This info would help the experts consider whether the time is enough for anybody, let alone somebody who might not know their way around the airport.

SWT

3. Re: teen going through heathrow alone

Thanks for your questions - Both flights are British Airways, originating from the US. It is booked as one ticket. I only see one reference number and it is an aircraft change at Heathrow.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
4. Re: teen going through heathrow alone

heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/f…

ASSUMING it's one ticket then it's a simple process of following the signs to "Flight Connections" then letting the staff there point you in the right direction

There's a good chance it's a T5 to T5 connection* which is probably the simplest

* for which we need to know the flight numbers and departure / destinations

Edited: 6:35 am, February 04, 2013
5. Re: teen going through heathrow alone

Both flights are through Terminal 5 (if that's what T5 to T5 means)

UK
reviews: 88
6. Re: teen going through heathrow alone

Then its easy peasy, follow signs to Flight Connections, boarding pass for second flight in hand.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
7. Re: teen going through heathrow alone

Just make sure he has the ability to contact you in the event of a problem. If the first flight were delayed and he missed the connection, BA would rebook him onto the next flight with available seats. If an overnight stay were required, they will provide a hotel. Make sure he has money**/means to pay for extras in that eventuality.

But 2hr15 is a perfectly reasonable connection time, with some slack for a delay.

** - if cash that would be British pounds in the UK.

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 69
8. Re: teen going through heathrow alone

Have faith in your son, he is 18 and I am sure more than capable of finding his own way.

Do a search on the Heatroe web site and it will tell him all he needs to know.

I'm sure this is just a case of Mum worrying!!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 75
9. Re: teen going through heathrow alone

Don't worry! Both of my daughters navigated Heathrow - even changing terminals - when flying alone as teens. The signage is clear, airline and airport employs are available to assist, and everyone speaks English. ;-)

Lake Crystal...
reviews: 13
10. Re: teen going through heathrow alone

I'm with smudge, post #8