We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Compensation from British Airways?

singapore
reviews: 13
Compensation from British Airways?

We have extremely bad experiences with British Airways and they have refused to take any responsibility or compensation for their major service lapse. Any advise?

1. Our first bad experience begin upon arrival in Rome. 1 of our 2 baggages did not arrived in the airport. As it contains mainly our winter clothing. Thus, we are force to waste our first day in Rome hunting for these essential, suffering in winter cold without any winter jacket!

2. Our second bad experience occur when our transfer from Paris to London was cancelled just few hours before the flight due to bad weather.

3. To frustrate us further, instead of providing some form of compensation, they demanded us to pay up additional 40 pound for an extra check in baggage saying that both are separated issue. Most airlines only charge if you exceed the given weight restriction. For British Airways, they even charge you for every extra baggage on top of the usual weight restriction!

4. The condition of their flight entertainment system was horrible. One of them at our seat was even not working at all throughout our whole 14 hours of flight!

5. They even make a fool out of us by getting us to sent in our original receipts for the purchases on the essential due to our baggage lost, making us believed that they will at least compensate us in these. Only to tell us to make this claim from our insurance instead when we no longer have our original receipts with us!

6. To further rub salt in our wound, we finally received our "lost" baggage 14 days later back home with it's form which seem to suggest that they wanted to save cost by not rushing the baggage we need urgently. Thus, they waited for the next available "free" flight many days later to do so despite their major lapse in their service provided!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
1. Re: Compensation from British Airways?

Baggage is not considered lost until 21 days after the initial report has been made. The terms of the Montreal Convention apply to delayed bags along with BA's Condtions of Carriage: britishairways.com/travel/…en_ca

'Our second bad experience occur when our transfer from Paris to London was cancelled just few hours before the flight due to bad weather.' I'm not sure how poor weather was BA's fault. The airline cannot operate if it is deemed unsafe to do so; would you have preferred to fly at risk to your lives?

Number of checked bags and weight of those bags is clearly laid out at the website. If you had more bags than allowed and / or the bags were too heavy then the rules apply. britishairways.com/travel/…

Describing non-working in flight entertainment as 'horrible' is a bit over the top. Unpleasant, yes, but horrible? If you write BA and give the date you flew, flight number and seat number the airline will very likely send you some Avios if you are an Executive Club member. I suggest you don't use the word horrible but instead write to the airilne and say 'I would like to let you know that the IFE at seat --- on flight BA--- on date --- was not working. I did / did not let the cabin crew know about this during the flight.'

Did you ask BA for the return of the receipts so you could file a claim on your travel insurance?

The only compensation you are entitled to, and it would be entirely at the discretion of the airline, is something for the non-working IFE. For everything else, it sounds like the airline did as laid out in the Conditions of Carriage.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
2. Re: Compensation from British Airways?

I could write it all out again BUT TravellerPlus is totally accurate. You are over-reacting. You are not entitled to compensation. BTW why would it take a WHOLE day to by a winter coat. What exactly were you" hunting" for?

Leicester, United...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Compensation from British Airways?

Sorry but your both wrong:

europa.eu/youreurope/…index_en.htm

"Checked-in luggage: If your registered luggage is lost, damaged or delayed, you may be entitled to compensation from the airline, up to about €1,220."

So it depends on the circumstances, but the OP could be entitled to compensation. And airlines will generally reimburse reasonable out-of-pocket expenses supported by receipts. I think they would argue (with some justification) that most people bring things like coats into the cabin if they will need them at their final destination, so you might be out of luck on that one. They certainly should not be telling you to go through your insurance. They failed to deliver your bags to you. They are responsible.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 105
4. Re: Compensation from British Airways?

True LeicsLad but in point 5 of the OP they state:

"Only to tell us to make this claim from our insurance instead when we no longer have our original receipts with us!"

I'm not sure how they have just purchased these essential items and still not got the receipts!

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
5. Re: Compensation from British Airways?

The original receipts were send to BA, that's why.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
6. Re: Compensation from British Airways?

"Only to tell us to make this claim from our insurance instead when we no longer have our original receipts with us!"

___

I'm not sure, this sentence seems to say that they no longer had the receipts to send.

Edinburgh, United...
7. Re: Compensation from British Airways?

But read the sentence immediately before:

"They even make a fool out of us by getting us to sent in our original receipts for the purchases on the essential due to our baggage lost"

Seems to me pretty clear that the OP sent off the original receipts to BA under the assumption that he would be reimbursed.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
8. Re: Compensation from British Airways?

Not clear at all when the second sentence contradicts the first sentence though is it?

Leicester, United...
reviews: 1
9. Re: Compensation from British Airways?

Was perfectly clear to me. They sent the originals to BA for reimbursement at BA's request. Now BA says the OP must claim on his insurance, but the OP can't do that because BA has the original receipts which the insurance company requires.

What is unclear about that?

Edinburgh, United...
10. Re: Compensation from British Airways?

As I read it there's no contradiction. Original receipts where sent to BA and for that reason the OP no longer has them.