We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage connection in Hong-Kong

Paris, France
Baggage connection in Hong-Kong

My apologies if this has already been asked before.

I am flying from Shanghai to London via Hong-Kong on Cathay Pacific and British Airways, on two different tickets.

Does anyone know if the baggage can be checked through by CX from Shanghai to London, or if I will have to collect it and check it in again in Hong-Kong with BA ?

Many thanks !

Leicester, United...
reviews: 1
1. Re: Baggage connection in Hong-Kong

You can ask for it to be checked through but it is at the discretion of the agent. It's unusual for them to say no IME.

How much time have you left between flights?

Edited: 9:54 am, February 03, 2013
Paris, France
2. Re: Baggage connection in Hong-Kong

Thanks ; my connecting time will be 3h45.

Leicester, United...
3. Re: Baggage connection in Hong-Kong

Gosh that doesn't leave much time for contingencies.

Munich, Germany
reviews: 35
4. Re: Baggage connection in Hong-Kong

Hi LeicsLad,

I've often needed to do this myself. I think that as you're flying oneworld you'll have a pretty good chance - oneworld use the Amadeus platform - so it's very easy for ops to view/merge/alter bookings. I would have both itineraries on you at check-in, explain where you'd like your bag sent, and then MAKE 100% SURE on the tag itself, before your bag disappears, that the flight nos. are listed correctly, AND on the correct dates.

Once you're in Hong Kong head to the gate as soon as it's open and again show them your boarding pass and baggage receipt and again make sure that the op there confirms that both are in the system.

Canada
reviews: 47
5. Re: Baggage connection in Hong-Kong

4 hrs is lots of time for contingencies.

Magog, Canada
reviews: 493
6. Re: Baggage connection in Hong-Kong

Plenty of time to make that connection in HK.

Leicester, United...
7. Re: Baggage connection in Hong-Kong

"4 hrs is lots of time for contingencies."

I've been more that four hours late on inbounds for connections. As this is not a connection, the OP would lose his ticket to London.

Edited: 2:43 pm, February 03, 2013
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
8. Re: Baggage connection in Hong-Kong

There is a high (but not guaranteed) probability that CX will check your bags all the way to LHR. CX and BA are Oneworld partners so they are more likely to do that than non-alliance airlines. Still, the agent might refuse at the counter. In that case, try to ask for another agent or a supervisor. There is no 100% guarantee though.

If you connect at HKG with 3:45, even if you have to go through passport control and re-claim your bags to check-in again yourself, that is normally more than enough time. However, flights from China tend to experience delays regularly. You will just have to cross your fingers.

9. Re: Baggage connection in Hong-Kong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 06, 2014