We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qantas and American Airlines Experiences

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 21
Qantas and American Airlines Experiences

I will be travelling to the States in a few weeks and would like to know anyone's thoughts and experiences travelling on Qantas 747 and A380 from SYD/DFW/LAX and internally (MIA/JFK/LAX) in the states with American Airlines. In terms of in flight entertainment, comfort and meals onboard. Thanks!

Madrid
reviews: 7
1. Re: Qantas and American Airlines Experiences

What class are you flying?

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 21
2. Re: Qantas and American Airlines Experiences

Economy Class

Madrid
3. Re: Qantas and American Airlines Experiences

Qantas is OK,inflight entertainment on the A380 is better than the B747.Meals are standard airline fare.

American has food to buy onboard.I would rather eat at the airport or take it onboard.I use the wifi where possible on AA,so dont bother with the inflight entertainment.No wifi on B777 with American.

Gold Coast
reviews: 3
4. Re: Qantas and American Airlines Experiences

Hi there,

Flew AA from JFK to LAX and found it to be a terrible experience. Incorrect information on baggage at time of booking led to a $500 USD bill to check bags in. It wasnt so much the fee, but rather the complete lack of customer service to resolve the details (had confirmation in writting that baggage was included).

Food onboard was average and crew clearly didnt want to be working that night. Would recommend SouthWest any day over AA.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Downunder

Melbourne
5. Re: Qantas and American Airlines Experiences

I had a fantastic experience on Qantas A380 in 2010 and am flying them Melb-LAX-NYC again in May this year. Comfort, service and entertainment was all great. The meals were fine and they also have a self serve snack bar.

I've flown a few domestic US airlines, including AA. It's not the best one I've flown but it has always luckily been drama free at least. Just be aware of the baggage and onboard food costs.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 126
6. Re: Qantas and American Airlines Experiences

You should also check out renect reviews on the airlinequality website.

www.airlinequality.com

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 10
7. Re: Qantas and American Airlines Experiences

Downunder, I'm just curious why you had a $500 bill for your baggage? AFAIW it is $25 for the first bag and $35 for the second bag. Were your bags overweight or did you have heaps of bags?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: Qantas and American Airlines Experiences

>> Downunder, I'm just curious why you had a $500 bill for your baggage? AFAIW<<

Dunno, but it looks like they didn't follow the advice given here ....

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k4035939…

9. Re: Qantas and American Airlines Experiences

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 05, 2014
Get answers to your questions