We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again

Thessaloniki, Greece
reviews: 1
why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again

Saturday 2 FEB 2013

Ryanair's website wasn't working properly, so i found another way to buy the ticket i wanted. I used www.opodo.co.uk. The charge was a bit more than the EUR 25.50 Ryanair wanted for the ticket, which I expected, and I'm glad there was a service available that allowed me to handle the transaction. What I've just discovered by reviewing my credit card statement and looking again at the opodo.co.uk confirmation email was the following in the fine print: "Please note that you may see a charge on your credit card statement from our partner, eDreams, who have processed the booking on behalf of Opodo." My statement showed EUR 25.50 going to Ryanair, EUR 14.36 going to Opodo.co.uk but also a mysterious charge of EUR 15.56 going to eDreams Limited Londres. The email itself showed a charge of GBP 20.73 (EUR 25.50) for the ticket and a booking fee of GBP 11.99 (EUR 14.36), but NOT the charge of GBP 13.41 (EUR 15.56) going to eDreams. It was the eDreams charge that puzzled me, which is what led me to the discovery quoted above. I suppose I'm lucky eDreams decided not to charge some other, higher, arbitrary amount. I find Opodo's business practice to reflect a gross lack of transparency akin to e-commerce theft. They fooled me this one time and not again. I'd rather walk than fly feeling duped.

158 replies to this topic
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again

You should never buy a Ryanair ticket from 3rd parties. Ryanair may not honour it.

Thessaloniki, Greece
2. Re: why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again

i haven't heard of that ever happening to anyone. and i haven't used a 3rd party for an airline ticket purchase in years, but Ryanair's website wasn't working. i've already checked in and have printed my boarding pass through Ryanair's website, so no worries there but thanks for the notice.

madeira
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
reviews: 32
3. Re: why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again

why not question the charges via your CC provider, then book with Ryanair - you run the risk of being denied boarding if you buy Ryanair through third party - they do not allow it.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
4. Re: why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again

Could it be insurance? It is automatically added to your booking unless you unclick it.

Madrid
reviews: 7
5. Re: why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again

i haven't heard of that ever happening to anyone. and i haven't used a 3rd party for an airline ticket purchase in years, but Ryanair's website wasn't working. i've already checked in and have printed my boarding pass through Ryanair's website, so no worries there but thanks for the notice.

Ryanair frequently cancel tickets bought through third parties.Ryanair's website expressly forbids this.Make sure they dont find out.

Rutland
6. Re: why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again

Hi

I work at opodo.co.UK. the extra charge seems like an error. Contact us (contact@opodo.co.UK / 08712770090 / +441212813360) and we'll gladly take a look. The charge should be from opodo or edreams and not both.

Regards

Chris

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
7. Re: why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again

Hi

I have used Opodo in the past and found them to be excellent, but now they are partners with e-dreams I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. I would think that The original employees of Opodo are very unhappy with the service they are expected to offer now.

But although Ryanair specifically forbid the reselling of their tickets through third party agents I don't think in practice they cancel the tickets if you keep quiet about it.

Jackie

Thessaloniki, Greece
8. Re: why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again

so the ticket worked and i arrived safely, but i'm dealing directly with all airlines from now on. i've registered my complaint through opodo's website and have requested a refund for the hidden amount that was charged without my express authorization. and it was not travel insurance, which was a thought, but that wasn't it. we'll see what happens and i'll post any result on this forum, which i truly appreciate because it's a really valuable way for travelers to share information with each other. i thank everyone for his/her input thus far.

Leicester, United...
9. Re: why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again

Hi

I work for Opodo in their Customer Relations team. Let me know your booking reference and we'll look into this for you.

best regards

Sue

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
10. Re: why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again

^^^ And how does one actually know that "sue g" works for opodo? Would you just PM her (or him) all your booking details and personal information? If sue is genuine she would at least provide an opodo affiliated email address where you could send the info.

Reply to: why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted