We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dutch Antilles Express stay away don't ever fly them!

Miami Beach, Florida
reviews: 3
Dutch Antilles Express stay away don't ever fly them!

What ever you do don't fly Dutch Antilles airways there new small airline flying out of Miami to Curaçao well let me tell you what happened we arrived a hour and 45 mins before out fight departure 5:50 am and we were told we missed our flight and they would put us on a standby for the afternoon flight but it would cost us $150 penalty for missing our fight. After returning home from our vacation I contacted DAE customer service and it took two weeks to get a response they told that they were sorry that the flight was everyone checked in early but us they stated that there was no one around and they closed the counter and claimed we were late. We live in Miami area so went home and came back four hours later they checked in the whole flight no problem plenty of seats left! And they insisted on charging us $150 only x 2 =$300 totals ash only by the way to get on the later flight. We were told that the fee was to make up for the loss opertunaty to sell the seats remember the flight was not full at all. They also claim that all taxes and charges are included false we had to pay $40 exit tax and our return flight was two hours delayed due to improper paper work for the US.At the end of the day you get what you pay for Fly American or Insel air all taxes and charges are really included!

39 replies to this topic
Townsville...
reviews: 16
1. Re: Dutch Antilles Express stay away don't ever fly them!

Can I suggest that next time you post you do so with paragraphs and punctuation.

Your rant was very difficult to read.

Good luck sorting out your difficulties.

Edited: 10:36 pm, February 01, 2013
Willemstad, Curacao
2. Re: Dutch Antilles Express stay away don't ever fly them!

Dear Chad:

We are sorry you had the inconvenience that you mentioned, but in this case you should have taken the necessary measures to be on time. All Flights including American and Insel as you mention have policies and also the TSA has regulations that the airlines have to comply with. The check in counter closes way in advance of the flight so that a list of passengers gets submitted and the flight is cleared, without it the flight cannot take off. That is why in International flights clients are told to be at the airport at least 3 hrs before your flight, which you obviously did not do.

All airline tickets also have restrictions depending on the fare you bought. Seeing that yours has no change allowed give me the idea you purchased a promotion and to be able to change it there is a penalty. You are actually lucky you did not fly with American or Insel because then you would have paid the penalty plus a fare difference.

All taxes and charges are included in our ticket. What you were charged, and not by us, was a Passenger Handling Fee imposed by the airport and charged by the them directly. I guess you do not travel much to the Caribbean but in most islands there is a fee that you either pay at arrival or during the departure, it is called fee, visa, charge, depending on the island you travel too.

We appreciate your patronage and suggest next time you travel to be earlier at the airport, buy a more flexible fare and find out what is charged at the destination you are flying too, so that you do not have the issues that you encountered.

Kind Regards,

Management DAE

Baltimore
reviews: 59
3. Re: Dutch Antilles Express stay away don't ever fly them!

westendcar...the DAE rep above pretty much summed it up regarding arrival time at the airport. I don't ever cut it that close when I'm flying domestic with no checked luggage and already completed online check in. That was your responsibility to arrive on time.

I understand the annoyance over paying the change fee but it was what you agreed to when you purchased the tickets, even if the explanation didn't correlate with what you observed.

Now as for the departure tax I'm kind of split. According to you all taxes and fees were included and having traveled several times to the Caribbean I have never had to pay my departure fee separately. It was always collected from me by the airline and paid to the government on my behalf. I also understand that not every airline does this and while it is always the customers responsibility to know what taxes and fees a foreign government may impose for their travel to or from the country I do not think it is a fair comment for the DAE rep to imply that you must not travel in the Caribbean much. Even little Winair collected my departure tax from me between St. Maarten and Saba. So if your passenger has a document saying all fees and taxes were collected when he paid for the ticket then it is understandable that he made this assumption.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 40
4. Re: Dutch Antilles Express stay away don't ever fly them!

<smashes head on desk>

Why would you write such a stream of gobbledygook and expect people to read it. Punctuate, paragraph! Thats how we write when we want to communicate.

Kudos to DAE management for taking the time to read through that!

norfolk
reviews: 30
5. Re: Dutch Antilles Express stay away don't ever fly them!

but no kudos whatsover for the sublime bit of gobbledegook they came up with.

"All taxes and charges are included in our ticket. What you were charged, and not by us, was a Passenger Handling Fee imposed by the airport and charged by the them directly."

either all charges are included, or they are not. in this case, they say they are. twice. and they are not.

pam

Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
reviews: 32
6. Re: Dutch Antilles Express stay away don't ever fly them!

Says on DAE website check-in is 90 mins from Miami, OP cut it fine IMO, but was within 90 mins.

norfolk
7. Re: Dutch Antilles Express stay away don't ever fly them!

were i you, i would now print this page [their reply] and print the wesite details about check-in times, and take the whole thing to your local equivalent of the trading standards department. if indeed, their website says 90 minutes, and they claim that means 3 hours, and the website says all CHARGES are included, and they claim that means all except what you were CHARGED, then i think you may have a case.

and they may be new, but they need to learn to behave in the world as it is. not how they think it is.

Toronto, Canada
8. Re: Dutch Antilles Express stay away don't ever fly them!

Am I the only one that thinks the rebuttal in post 2 is rather condescending in tone? While I appreciate this is a forum, business etiquette would usually frown about comments like this:

"I guess you do not travel much to the Caribbean ..'

London, United...
reviews: 22
9. Re: Dutch Antilles Express stay away don't ever fly them!

I agree, that is an unpleasant and unprofessional post from dae, in fact I am surprised by it.

If its 90 mins, then the op was there on time with fifteen mins to spare. Suggesting they get there even earlier than their own timing requirements is not acceptable, plus they have also made an error in the way they responded to the charges.

I was going to comment on the ops post in terms of punctuation, but quite frankly the airlines response is worse and should certainly put people off flying them. I also found it condescending and quite rude. I certainly would not use them based on that response and hope it's fake.

Not impressed. Whomever wrote that needs to be moved to a new position where they don't publicly represent the company.

Hilton Head, South...
10. Re: Dutch Antilles Express stay away don't ever fly them!

Interestingly, there is a letter today in our local "Island Packet" newspaper advising people to avoid travel to Europe. Apparently they had to pay a RT coach each from SAV to PDG of $1,037 plus taxes and fees of $623. Does seem to me that these charges are getting completely out of hand and will be very damaging to the travel industry.

Reply to: Dutch Antilles Express stay away don't ever fly them!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted