We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA LHR to SFO-seat numbers all allocated!

Basingstoke
reviews: 9
BA LHR to SFO-seat numbers all allocated!

I have spent my life both pleasure and business flying BA but today ai am livid.

Flying to SFO this weekend-been booked for 8 months. Went to check in today to find that despite the aircraft being the larger 747-400, all window and aisle seats allocated BEFORE check in! I rang up BA and they said full flight and yes all seats already allocated. Cannot believe that everyone in economy would pay to confirm their seating. Anyone else experienced this?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
1. Re: BA LHR to SFO-seat numbers all allocated!

You should have been checking MMB and the seat map frequently in the days/weeks before. Then you wpuld have seen the windows and aisles filling up and you could have paid.

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 62
2. Re: BA LHR to SFO-seat numbers all allocated!

I always go into MMB to check the seat maps and see how many seats are left. If there are fewer seats left I then decide whether to pay or not. I don't think you can be upset as everyone has the opportunity to pay for a seat.

Get to the airport early and hope for the best.

Basingstoke
reviews: 9
3. Re: BA LHR to SFO-seat numbers all allocated!

Thanks for the message- I checked last sat and Tues and there was still a fill cabin showing as available with only the bulkhead seats not available. It just seems really odd. I am travelling back WT+ paid for booked seats last week and glad I did! ;))

UK
reviews: 83
4. Re: BA LHR to SFO-seat numbers all allocated!

Perhaps the advice frequently posted here that very few people pre book their economy seats is getting past its sell by date?

For WT+ its always worth booking in advance, small cabins, seats allocate quickly, and if its the 2-4-2 seating you really should try to avoid the centre 2 of the 4.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
5. Re: BA LHR to SFO-seat numbers all allocated!

BA allows only a certain percentage of seats to be preselected; some are held back for OLCI and airport check in. Although BA said the seats are allocated I wonder if some are blocked for OLCI.

There are 148 aisle / window seats in WT on a mid-J 747, with WT from rows 28 through 55. The odds of every seat being selected strike me as very low. That more people may be choosing to pay to select may as well be past its sell by date, but again I'd say it's a matter of seats on hold until OLCI opens.

Please let us know what you find when you check in on line.

essex england
reviews: 52
6. Re: BA LHR to SFO-seat numbers all allocated!

What does OLCI mean?

Scotland
reviews: 11
7. Re: BA LHR to SFO-seat numbers all allocated!

On Line Check In

Bear in mind also that anyone who has a connecting flight (e.g. from GLA or AMS) will be able to check-in 24 hours before their first flight, so if your journey starts at LHR then you are further down the queue to check in... it's one of the few perks of not being London-based when dealing with BA.

London.UK
reviews: 1
8. Re: BA LHR to SFO-seat numbers all allocated!

OLCI - On line Check In

London, United...
reviews: 47
9. Re: BA LHR to SFO-seat numbers all allocated!

What does 'MMB' mean?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
10. Re: BA LHR to SFO-seat numbers all allocated!

Manage My Booking