We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson - gatwick airport check in!

reviews: 10
Thomson - gatwick airport check in!

Hiya, I don't know of anyone can help, but I have just realised thomson say you can only check in 2 hours before your flight! We fly at 6.15 in the morning in August to Corfu! I have always checked in 3 hours before my flight with other airlines and I am panicking that 2 hours won't be long enough! (Silly I know, but a born worrier!!) does anyone know whether we can check in 3 hours before or are the times on the booking confirmation the earliest, being 2 hours before?

I'd be really grateful for any replies!

Sophie xx

55 replies to this topic
London, United...
reviews: 23
1. Re: Thomson - gatwick airport check in!

Don't be concerned, two hours is enough, normally they open two hours before hand, but they could be open due to other flights. I would aim to get there for say 4 am and be first in the queue.

You should aim to do on line check in also if possible, and then just bag drop on the day.

3 hours is normally for long haul/ international.

2. Re: Thomson - gatwick airport check in!

Thank you I think online check in is being introduced for thomson from June so hopefully best option! X

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 44
3. Re: Thomson - gatwick airport check in!

I always rock up 2 hours prior to a short/mid haul flight and have never had a problem. There's always time to trawl the duty free shop lol.

Online check in will be available when you fly. They also do day before check in at some airports. If you check in online, or the day before you only need to be there 90 mins prior.

Edited: 9:32 am, February 01, 2013
4. Re: Thomson - gatwick airport check in!

Thank you! I think I'm panicking way to much!! Just wish it was sooner, need some sunshine! X

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
reviews: 102
5. Re: Thomson - gatwick airport check in!

Hi. I'm flying from Gatwick for the first time in many years this June, also on a Thomson flight. Our departure time is currently 06:30 on a Saturday so we will have to travel up the night before and find a hotel and parking.

Three questions.

How long before departure time can you check in online?. If we do check in on line, how do we check in the luggage? Do Thomson operate queues for each flight or like our airport 1 queue for all the flights?

(At Cardiff the desks open 3 hrs before for all Thomson flights)

Phil

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
6. Re: Thomson - gatwick airport check in!

Thomsons have generic queues. One size fits all. Full details of their online check in haven't been released yet. If you check in online they will have a bag drop desk where your luggage is weighed and tagged.

London, United...
reviews: 47
7. Re: Thomson - gatwick airport check in!

Thomson operate a single queue system at Gatwick. We like to get there about three hours beforehand (well, I do, my wife's not so keen when it's an early flight) and we've never had a problem. The queue can be long, but moves pretty quickly. Obviously you can't rely on this, though - at a Thomas Cook check-in the previous year the queue stretched so far we queued for an hour to check-in.

Your flight time complicates it though - will the check-ins open at 03:15?

I suggest that, nearer the date, you look at Gatwick Departures to see how early Thomson flights depart on that day of the week. I remember flying with EasyJet last spring - flight was about 07:15 and there were 15 EJ flights before us. ( We got there for 4:30 am, and were through check-in and security in under 20 minutes).

The good news is that you should fly through security at that time in the morning. The bad news is that there'll be very little open in the departures hall - but at least you'll get a seat easily - they seem to be removing seats all the time, to make way for more shops.

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
reviews: 102
8. Re: Thomson - gatwick airport check in!

Thanks both.

Phil

9. Re: Thomson - gatwick airport check in!

Hi John s,

My flight is at 6.15 and it's saying check in time is 4.15 I was thinking of getting there a bit earlier to see if I can check in, if not grab something to eat and drink from costa coffee so at least if we are delayed getting through check in and security we have eaten! Last year I flew with Thomas cook, checked in online and cleared check in and security in 20 minutes! But that was at 3am! X

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
10. Re: Thomson - gatwick airport check in!

lippylou

Closer to your departure date, check Gatwick North Terminal departures on their website, for the same day of the week as you're flying. It will give you an idea of how many flights Thomsons have due out at that time in the morning, and how busy the airport may be. The last time I went through Gatwick was at 6.30am for a 9.30am flight, and we sailed through no problem. That was with Thomsons as well.

Edited: 11:45 am, February 01, 2013
Reply to: Thomson - gatwick airport check in!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted