We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates Airline

Storrington, United...
Emirates Airline

Having recently travelled to Dubai for 6 days to participate in the Dubai marathon from LGW, 23rd Jan 2013, on EK012 0945 flight. We were greated at Dubai airport by Emirates staff saying that our luggage along with that of fellow travellers had not been loaded. Despite being delayed about an hour in taking off that morning because the wings could not be de iced as as we were still being loaded and the baggage doors were still open ? The reassurances we were given at the airport that our baggage was on the next flight and would be with us early next morning proved false. Trying to resolve with the customer services staff through out the following day was pointless, why they are called customer services I do not know. Assurances were given, and failed to be met. Eventually 1 bag arrived late morning, the remainder at 6.00pm that evening. A concious decision must have been made by Emirates management to leave our baggage behind in favour of carrying something elses. My requests for compensation fell on deaf ears. Do I and the rest of the passengers have a legal redress against Emirates, I had a contract with them to transport me and my luggage to Dubai which they failed to do.

24 replies to this topic
Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
1. Re: Emirates Airline

This is why you take out travel insurance, I would start there.

:-)

Seymour, Australia
reviews: 38
2. Re: Emirates Airline

Hello Castlee, Welcome to Trip Advisor.

Did your luggage not arrive? I thought from reading your post that you were reunited with your luggage the next day.

Was this in the spell of particularly unpleasant weather that Europe experienced last week? The one where many flights were disrupted? When did the next Emirates flight from Gatwick arrive in Dubai?

It seems a shame that Emirates picked on your luggage in this heartless way. I hope your contract stated that you and your luggage would arrive in the same place at the same time so you can contact customer services and demand reparation.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
3. Re: Emirates Airline

I hope your contract stated that you and your luggage would arrive in the same place at the same time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CoC would never guarantee that.

Sunshine Coast...
reviews: 20
4. Re: Emirates Airline

Hans I think you'll find that was meant to be a joke... at least I thought it was funny! ;-)

Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 61
5. Re: Emirates Airline

Some airlines have a scale of compensation based on certain circumstances, others don't. Depends on their CoC. Want as paid us $100 SIN for a 24 hour delay in our luggage from London to Singapore without us asking for or expecting it. A member of staff was waiting at baggage reclaim to tell us one of our bags had missed being loaded, took me the office, filled out feat ails of where we were staying SI that luggage could be delivered next day, then gave me a debut card with $100 loaded to draw at ATM outside the door. Paid nicely for dinner that night. That' s customer service!

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
6. Re: Emirates Airline

Another first time poster complaining of Emirates, this is becoming a trend.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
7. Re: Emirates Airline

Also it's not Emirates but Gatwick aiport that didn't load the luggage.

Seymour, Australia
8. Re: Emirates Airline

HarleyB, you may well be perfectly correct in your assumption. You are obviously a person of great intelligence and charm.

;)

Seymour, Australia
9. Re: Emirates Airline

From Emirates Conditions of Carriage.

16.1.2(c) if you want to claim compensation from us for delay of Checked Baggage, you must notify us in writing within 21 Days from the date the Baggage was placed at your disposal.

Apparently the bag-witholding management at Emirates will respond to a written complaint that will not be affected by their deaf ears.

australia
reviews: 17
10. Re: Emirates Airline

Despite being delayed about an hour in taking off that morning because the wings could not be de iced >>>>>>

Leaving the baggage behind was probably a safety precaution, either that or remove some passengers as well to reduce weight. What would you have preferred, missing the marathon or luggage?

Plus there has to be room on the next flight to fit extra baggage in

Edited: 6:22 pm, February 01, 2013
Reply to: Emirates Airline
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted