We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EK Mel-Dxb A380 now Qantas?

Victoria, Australia
reviews: 106
EK Mel-Dxb A380 now Qantas?

I was just looking at the EK website for a possible booking late Aug and all the options featuring the A380 direct flight are now listed at operated by Qantas.

Having recently flown busines class on the Ek A380 and been impressed I was a bit thrown by this. I assume it will be a Qantas plane with Qantas seating comfiguration or am I wrong?

Due to previous bad experiences on QF I would much rather stick with EK.

22 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
1. Re: EK Mel-Dxb A380 now Qantas?

"I assume it will be a Qantas plane with Qantas seating comfiguration or am I wrong?"

If it's listed as operated as Qantas then it will be a Qantas plane, Qantas crew etc.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: EK Mel-Dxb A380 now Qantas?

Emirates and Qantas have entered into a joint partnership. Qantas will be moving its international hub from Singapore to Dubai, and the airlines will be code sharing each other's flights commencing March 31.

Australia
reviews: 3
3. Re: EK Mel-Dxb A380 now Qantas?

Of the 3 daily EK flights to Melbourne one of them is a A380, but can't remember which one. Perhaps this will be replaced by a QF one or more likely, an addition to the current EK one.

Victoria, Australia
4. Re: EK Mel-Dxb A380 now Qantas?

Thanks everyone. Yes I guess it is a QF plane. I checked for services on the flight and got the message that they couldn't advise re services because it is operated by Qantas.

Some of the flights inbound from DXB still seem to be EK, but all the outbound look to be QF. I am only looking at the direct flights here.

Bummer, I really don't want to fly QF. It seems that we here in Oz will be missing out on the EK A380 to DXB. It just seems a bit of a shame, given that the EK business class A380 product tends to be considered superior and we certainly enjoyed it on our last trip.

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
5. Re: EK Mel-Dxb A380 now Qantas?

The QF website shows that the 2125 departure MEL-DXB is an EK operated A380.

Victoria, Australia
6. Re: EK Mel-Dxb A380 now Qantas?

Your are correct Numbat, somehow I missed that one! Thanks.

NZ
reviews: 26
7. Re: EK Mel-Dxb A380 now Qantas?

It's certainly changed the way I look at my long haul flights now as I'm another one who doesn't enjoy the Qantas experience. My last flight with Emirates redeemed them after two particularly unpleasant ones with very mediocre service crew. I don't expect to be fawned over but neither do I expect to have to wait 30 minutes during a quiet time to get attention. Moving out would have woken the two people next to me who also deserved some consideration.

australia
reviews: 17
8. Re: EK Mel-Dxb A380 now Qantas?

I don't expect to be fawned over but neither do I expect to have to wait 30 minutes during a quiet time to get attention.>>>>>>>>

Do they no longer have call buttons, or do the FA's not bother answering them?

If the latter is the case did you write in and complain? If you didn't just allows those particular FA's to continue with poor service ...

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
9. Re: EK Mel-Dxb A380 now Qantas?

I'm not a huge fan of Qantas - service certainly has always been on the mediocre side.

However, last year we had a flight with them in the A380 in Business Class and I couldn't fault either the crew or the aircraft. One of the best flights ever and the level of comfort and service were flawless.

I do think that Qantas (unlike some of their Asian counterparts) do make a much bigger effort with their Business and First Class passengers and tend to treat Economy as 'cattle class'.

I'm not defending the practice, but it is what it is. It may well explain why the international arm of the airline is hemorrhaging money and making huge losses for the company.

So comparing an experience in Economy isn't really relevant to someone like the OP who is planning on going upstairs on the beast.

Victoria, Australia
10. Re: EK Mel-Dxb A380 now Qantas?

Interesting feedback everyone.

Evamelb, have you flown on the EK A380 in business class as well? How does the QF A380 product compare to the EK product?

Reply to: EK Mel-Dxb A380 now Qantas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted