We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline didn't provide promised hotel stay for 9hr transit

Brampton, Canada
Airline didn't provide promised hotel stay for 9hr transit

I was travelling from Jeddah to Toronto. We had more than 9 hours of stay at Dubai airport. While reserving the tickets/seats, the airlines staff promised every time to provide the hotel stay, but when we reached there midnight, I approached the counter of airlines and they told me that there is no record of hotel reservation in our name. It was horrible to stay the night with 3 small kids on the chairs of airport. So ultimately I purchased the hotel stay on my own. Can I sue the airline for such mismanagement and embarrassment caused to us? If yes then how much can I claim, only the room charges or something more?

Lake Crystal...
reviews: 13
1. Re: Airline didn't provide promised hotel stay for 9hr transit

You'll need more than "they said on the phone" for evidence. What airline?

Scotland
reviews: 6
2. Re: Airline didn't provide promised hotel stay for 9hr transit

I seriously doubt any airline will provide you with any hotel room for a 9 hr stopover.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: Airline didn't provide promised hotel stay for 9hr transit

If the provision of a hotel room is included in the airline's contract of carriage, and based on the COC you qualified for a hotel room, and then it wasn't provided, then yes you could sue them for breach of contract. I don't think "mismanagement and embarrassment caused to us" would be a good cause to litigate under.

A better course of action - at least to start with - would be to register your complaint with the airline's customer service. Keep the letter polite, concise, factual and unemotional. Outline the costs you actually incurred and request (yes ask) that they provide reimbursement. If that doesn't work, or you feel their response is inadequate, then write a letter to the airline also outlining your complaint.

Even if you wanted to take legal action, you should write a letter first to give them the opportunity to respond, specifying a time limit (say 14-21 days) for them to respond.

Edited: 4:54 pm, January 31, 2013
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
reviews: 40
4. Re: Airline didn't provide promised hotel stay for 9hr transit

Emirates do but you have to meet specific conditions and book the room at time of booking the ticket.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
5. Re: Airline didn't provide promised hotel stay for 9hr transit

>> I seriously doubt any airline will provide you with any hotel room for a 9 hr stopover. <<

Actually quite a few do. Asiana and Korean Air (at ICN), and I've also heard of Emirates (DXB), China Southern (CAN) and China Eastern (PVG/SHA). Each has their own rules, and some (eg Asiana) don't actually advertize the fact and you have to ask.

From the ones I've seen, usually the room is provided when the **shortest possible layover** for the route in question is 8 hours or more. Note that's not the same as your layover; if there were a 5 hour layover possible and you chose 8-9, you wouldn't qualify.

Leicester, United...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Airline didn't provide promised hotel stay for 9hr transit

Indeed EK will provide a hotel in certain circumstances. If you have it in writing that it was part of your booking (and it should have been noted in your confirmation) or any other hard evidence that you were promised a room, do as USBT suggests.

If you have no real proof it wouldn't hurt to write but I would be more "disappointed" than "angry" that you did not get what you believed you would get if you see what I mean. (Expectation vs entitlement unless you have real proof you were entitled.)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
7. Re: Airline didn't provide promised hotel stay for 9hr transit

Just to point out that in my post #3 .... I'd suggest firstly registering your complaint with customer service using their standard online complaints/feedback mechanism. Then, if the response is inadequate or non-existent (and it does take some time for these to get dealt with), write a formal letter.

The last time I registered feedback with an airline online, I got a response in 3 weeks (and it was satisfactory so I didn't have to take it further).

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 23
8. Re: Airline didn't provide promised hotel stay for 9hr transit

Emirates do but you have to pick up the voucher for the accommodationbeore you depart on your first fight.

I did lauh at theOP "sue for embrassement"...REALLY!!!

Brampton, Canada
9. Re: Airline didn't provide promised hotel stay for 9hr transit

thanx for replying on my behalf.

Brampton, Canada
10. Re: Airline didn't provide promised hotel stay for 9hr transit

I wrote "embarrassment" but not "embrassement". We can sue under law of tort, for any embarrassment caused.