We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hand luggae

Hitchin, England...
reviews: 23
hand luggae

I am gong to Lanzarote soon flying with thomson, i only have 15 k luggage allowance and was planning on putting a few bits in my hand luggage, ie shoes swimwear, i know the hand luggage allowance is 5k, but i have been told they dont weigh hand luggage so if you go a bit over the 5k i does not matter, could anyone tell me how true this is.

Thankyou

Chrissy.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
1. Re: hand luggae

If they state the allowance is 5kg why risk it?

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
2. Re: hand luggae

Thomsons do weigh hand luggage, quite regularly. If they do, and you are over you will have to check it into the hold, and it then becomes part of your checked allowance. The 5kg, one piece applies to all.

A word to the wise, Lanzarote are hot on overweight checked luggage on your return.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
3. Re: hand luggae

What they did today is no guarantee of what they would do tomorrow. If you put more in your hand luggage than allowed be aware to deal with the potential consequence. And if you make it one way, there is no guarantee you will make it back.

Hitchin, England...
4. Re: hand luggae

Thankyou so much, best get my luggage scales out, and take them with me. Thanks again. x

Hitchin, England...
5. Re: hand luggae

Thankyou so much. Best take my luggage scales with me. Thanks again. x

Hitchin, England...
6. Re: hand luggae

That is so very true.

London, United...
reviews: 47
7. Re: hand luggae

They certainly weighhed ours last time we flew with them (September 2012), and put some sort of strap through the handles, with the ends glued.

We've been limited to 15KG for the last few holidays, which were all 10 days in Crete or Cyprus, and had no problems. Obviously, you have to be a bit ruthless over what you take, but swapping a Kindle for a pile of books certainly helped. As did having one of those sleeveless coats with loads of pockets.

Even if you must go over, how expensive is an increased allowance?

Hitchin, England...
8. Re: hand luggae

Thanks for your reply. my hubby got me a kindle for xmas, thats def going. Lol and a jacket with loads of pockets sounds good. x

Aberdeen, United...
reviews: 8
9. Re: hand luggae

Yes hand luggage definitely gets weighed,

Hitchin, England...
10. Re: hand luggae

Why did they put a strap through the handles of your bag , surly there were things in the bag you would need after passing through customs. like money, tickets . or do they allow you an extra bag for that.