We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airlines practices exposed in NY Times

Miami Beach, Florida
reviews: 24
United Airlines practices exposed in NY Times

The Times ran a piece yesterday about United's treatment of passengers, and it was far from favorable. (search nytimes.com) The article also mentioned that United is suing a website called untied.com for the "offense" of listing customer service contacts at the airline (I guess they've never heard of the First Amendment and freedom of speech)

Just thought you all ought to know.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 48
1. Re: United Airlines practices exposed in NY Times

Cant you just post the link? I searched their website and didn't see an article as described, but maybe i missed it.

Sask
reviews: 7
2. Re: United Airlines practices exposed in NY Times

Type into google: The Times United treatment of passengers...go to the nytimes url.

Boy, that untied.com site has some PO'd passengers.

Magog, Canada
reviews: 598
3. Re: United Airlines practices exposed in NY Times

There seems to be no such article in the last 7 days.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
4. Re: United Airlines practices exposed in NY Times

Is this it?

nytimes.com/2013/…

Looks to me as though the passenger deliberately decided to ignore the crew's directives to stay in his ticketed cabin. Then when reminded and told no he started recording the conversation. That to me is somewhat provocative.

Edited: 10:12 pm, January 30, 2013
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
5. Re: United Airlines practices exposed in NY Times

Here is a Chicago Tribune link:

…chicagotribune.com/2012-11-29/business/ct-b…

United is suing for copyright/trademark issues - and if you look at unTIed.com, you will see they directly copied the United logo and website design. Any corporation is going to go after someone that steals their intellectual property to use against them. Hope the unTIed people have deep pockets - I don't see United losing this one.

South Pole
reviews: 38
6. Re: United Airlines practices exposed in NY Times

i think mr pollock might be just a bit of a pillock

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
7. Re: United Airlines practices exposed in NY Times

>> United is suing for copyright/trademark issues - and if you look at unTIed.com, you will see they directly copied the United logo and website design. <<

.... and here's what it looked like *before* UA filed the lawsuit. Virtually an exact copy of the united.com front page look and feel.

…wordpress.com/2012/11/untied.png

Edited: 10:37 pm, January 30, 2013
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
reviews: 130
8. Re: United Airlines practices exposed in NY Times

Hope the unTIed people have deep pockets - I don't see United losing this one.

__

I don't think they do have deep pockets Tev, they are asking for donations on their website to help them pay for their legal fees.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
reviews: 130
9. Re: United Airlines practices exposed in NY Times

I've just clicked on a random month in the complaints database and one passenger complaining that a 4 hour layover is the fault of the airline. Do these people not research what they are booking?

Every other complaint appears to mention 'employee rudeness' and we all know that is a two way thing.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 91
10. Re: United Airlines practices exposed in NY Times

This is old news. UA filed these lawsuits in Canada back on November. They are suing for copyright and trademark violations, and privacy of airline employees, because untied.com is posting this information.

Some of the complaints posted on this webpage are truly ridiculous!

Edited: 11:38 pm, January 30, 2013