We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bassinet seats without a baby

London
reviews: 2
Bassinet seats without a baby

I'm travelling with Emirates 5 times in March and am able to book the Bassinet seats online (extra leg room).

i don't have a baby - so what are the chances of sitting next to a screaming baby for 7 hours vs getting bumped into business if they need my seat?

Worth the risk?

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 40
1. Re: Bassinet seats without a baby

I think you are more likely to get the screaming baby....

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
2. Re: Bassinet seats without a baby

49.9999999999% chance of screaming baby

49.9999999999% chance of being booted somewhere else in the coach cabin (possibly last row middle seat) because a parent w/ baby is given your bulkhead seat

0.0000000002% chance of being bumped to business (unless you are a high tier elite)

Bulkheads often have limited leg room to begin with because there is no underseat space. I would not book it.

London
reviews: 2
3. Re: Bassinet seats without a baby

Thanks - that answers my question then!

I won't be booking that seat - I'll just get to the airport early and try and get a proper exit row seat - or blag an upgrade if i can - wish me luck :)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
4. Re: Bassinet seats without a baby

I like the way tev put it: 0.0000000002% chance of being bumped to business.

Don't expect that to happen.

Not all bulkheads are created equal. Some have more legroom, some have less. Check Seatguru, Seatplan, Seatexpert, and also cross check with the airline seat map, and even ask here to determine whether bulkhead really gives you more room.

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
5. Re: Bassinet seats without a baby

"Blag an upgrade" 0.000000000000%

:-)

Tamworth, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
reviews: 8
6. Re: Bassinet seats without a baby

Yep the upgrade is well out. It's a thing of the past.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 64
7. Re: Bassinet seats without a baby

If you have a top tier FF card with Emirates then the upgrade % is much higher. I have in the past been moved to biz. on Cathay but that was with their diamond card.

Darwin
reviews: 170
8. Re: Bassinet seats without a baby

My cousin is pregnant with twins going back to UK when they will be four months old and had all sorts of trouble booking the bassinet seats as she doesn't have a baby 'yet'. I doubt they would let you book them and it seems a tad mean if there is someone else on the flight who genuinely needed the bassinet for their baby.

Lou

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 64
9. Re: Bassinet seats without a baby

It depends on the airline and ones status with them, I have done it a few times and either been bumped forwards or left in the basinet seat

wirral
reviews: 67
10. Re: Bassinet seats without a baby

Without an accompanying baby you would be mad to select one of these seats even if permitted to.You would probably be jocked-off after boarding anyway because they are in great demand and who wants other people's babies in close proximity? If I find myself seated near adults with babies I am unhappy because chances are the flight is going to be disrupted usually by crying/screaming (not me- by the baby).

Last Feb we flew back to Manchester from Malaga.In the row behind were very young mother and baby and baby's grandmother.Baby screamed for 3 hours.My wife (who knows these things) said they were the screams of a hungry baby.They had no bottle or other food for the baby.It was purgatory for us and a lot worse than that for the poor infant.