We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to book flights around Canada - August / September 2013

Australia
Level Contributor
227 posts
35 reviews
When to book flights around Canada - August / September 2013

Hi guys

This is probably a silly question, though we're going to be in USA/Canada at the above times, we've noticed flights are slightly increasing from US to Canada and between cities in Canada, I just wondered if by chance if it was likely there would be a sale on between now and then that's worth waiting for or should we just book it?

I was only thinking like an upcoming holiday, ie in Australia we tend to have domestic sales around Australia Day etc.

If you think there's no chance given its a peak time we'll book them now as also dont want to miss out :)

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: When to book flights around Canada - August / September 2013

There is no 'best time' to book the flights. The airlines do have sales, and not just around public holidays, but you never know exactly when and for which routes. Have you subscribed to the e-mail lists of the airlines you're considering?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,375 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: When to book flights around Canada - August / September 2013

I think the old adage of "book when you see the 'best' price" works here. August and September are quite busy travelling months and there is no guarantee of seat-sales, unfortunately.

Good luck.

Magog, Canada
Level Contributor
31,374 posts
624 reviews
3. Re: When to book flights around Canada - August / September 2013

Subscribe to Air Canada's newsletter and you'll know when they have a sale.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
129 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: When to book flights around Canada - August / September 2013

Air Canada and Porter Air frequently have sales.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
5. Re: When to book flights around Canada - August / September 2013

Those sales are posted on their web sites, and you can sign up for e-mail alerts. E.g. Air Canada's page is aircanada.com/en/…websaver_fares.html .

From those deals, you could probably conclude that now is too soon to book. Current domestic flight deals are for travel between February and mid-June.

Australia
Level Contributor
227 posts
35 reviews
6. Re: When to book flights around Canada - August / September 2013

Thanks all, I've put alerts on kayak.com though I might subscribe to Air Canada too. Cheers

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
186 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: When to book flights around Canada - August / September 2013

For internal flights I would suggest checking with Westjet Airlines.

Always good service and decent fares.

Good luck!

NW Ontario
Level Contributor
23 posts
42 reviews
8. Re: When to book flights around Canada - August / September 2013

I would try for either westjet or porter -- really depends on where u r going.

I would look at air canada LAST -- they r the worst airline to travel with.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,375 posts
44 reviews
9. Re: When to book flights around Canada - August / September 2013

There is nothing wrong with Air Canada so please don't let the hater who resurrected a 6 month old thread put you off using them if you find a good fare or time.

The Porter recommendation is particularly useless as they do not serve the Western regions of the country (where all the tourists want to go)

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
209 posts
75 reviews
10. Re: When to book flights around Canada - August / September 2013

Ignore the air Canada haters, both them and westjet are ok, I prefer air Canada actually, I think westjet has gone downhill as they get bigger. My rule of thumb for the best prices are look between one to two months away from when you want to travel, that's the window I usually find the best rates, it also pays to check daily as they do go up and down overnight often.