We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta

Los Angeles...
reviews: 118
Delta

I was told that if I bought an upgradable ticket (at more than double the cost of a regular coach ticket), that I could then use my miles to upgrade to business class. I bought the ticket and then I was only able to upgrade on the first segment of my trip both departing and returning. I was not able to upgrade on the 2nd leg of my trip. I could have purchased a regular coach ticket and then paid for economy comfort seats and the ticket would have been $800 less. The way Delta runs the upgrade program is a total scam. I have not received any type of reasonable explanation as to why I wasn't able to upgrade.

I will NEVER fly Delta again.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 50
1. Re: Delta

You need to check for upgrade availability before you buy the upgradeable fare. That's the way it works with most carriers. Otherwise no one would ever buy a first class ticket, they would just buy the cheaper ticket and use miles to upgrade.

2. Re: Delta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:25 pm, January 29, 2013
Edited: 11:25 pm, January 29, 2013
Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
reviews: 14
3. Re: Delta

Gee, I just got back from a Delta trip. Upgrade availability is always iffy --never a guarantee with any airline, IMO.

I have had good luck with booking upgrades directly on Delta's website -- before entering payment information. This is only possible on some flights. For just twice the price of low-cost economy, we got first-class tickets! Did not spend any miles on this. This option comes up on the page after you have selected outbound and return flights -- there's a little box on the lower left to check to get 1st class. But again, not always available. I played around with different flight times and *bingo* got one I liked.

Just returned from that trip last night, and Delta service was outstanding. All flights were on time (or early, but who's complaining?). All of the Delta employees (not just in 1st), including gate agents, flight attendants & pilots came across as super friendly & helpful. I'm becoming a Delta convert!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
4. Re: Delta

Not a scam at all. Upgrade availability is always limited to make room for paid first/business class customers. As #1 notes, if that wasn't the case then nobody would buy a premium class ticket.

I'm in this situation whenever I want to upgrade with an elite GPU on United, in that I have to buy a W fare minimum, which can cost $600 more than the cheapest economy fare when flying to Asia or Europe. And that W fare gives me no guarantee of an UG. I have to be very selective of my flights based on UG availability.

Note - I do believe that Delta requires a full or near full fare economy ticket to be upgrade eligible. That's a downside of their system. On United you can upgrade with miles from any fare, as long as you pay a copay for the discounted economy fare buckets.

Los Angeles...
5. Re: Delta

Yes, I usually fly American and when I want to upgrade the agents work with me to let me know which flights have seats availlable for upgrade. The tickets do not cost more. Unforttunately, American does not fly to Africa. This was an international flight and I was told that I had to buy the ticket first. The agent would not tell me if seats were available for upgrade. So I had to get the more expensive ticket before I could get any info. This ticket was purchase 8 months in advance of my trip. Delia's system is not user friendly.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 195
6. Re: Delta

Pretty risky to pay more for a ticket if you don't know if there's upgrade space. Definitely more economical to pay for E+.

Los Angeles...
7. Re: Delta

You are right. Won't do that again!

Edited: 1:20 am, January 30, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: Delta

millie4t,

What was your flight itinerary, and which flight was upgraded and which not?

That will be useful in determining if DL's system (while not a scam) is a good/fair one or a poor one.

Los Angeles...
9. Re: Delta

I am going to Tanzania. I was able to upgrade from LAX to Amsterdam. But not on the segment from Amsterdam to Kilimanjaro . The return flight - not able to upgrade from Dar Es Salaam to Amsterdam. Upgraded from AMS to LAX.

Madrid
reviews: 7
10. Re: Delta

Delta do not fly AMS-Kilimanjaro or Dar Es Salaam-AMS. Those flights will be on KLM,hence no Delta upgrade.