We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Business is the pits

New York City, New...
reviews: 6
United Business is the pits

I recently flew business JFK-NRT, ANA outbound, United return. Dramatic difference. ANA was ten times better than United. I've been in other United business class lounges and they're all terrible. If you don't count corn flakes and packaged cookies, very little, if any, food. In Tokyo, for example (on January 28, 2013), there were 7 (SEVEN!) pieces of sushi available. It was not replenished until long after there were none. The food on the flight was unpalatable. Some mystery meat appetizer that they called prosciutto. Bad sushi (in tokyo? How do u manage this?); a few things rose to mediocre.

Their San Francisco lounge sets new standards for rotten. If you want a "premium" beer such as Sam Adams, you have to pay for it and tipping is demanded, not just expected. If you're flying business, United is the absolute worst in my experience.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
1. Re: United Business is the pits

But you knew all of this beforehand. You told us how bad they were last time. And yet you flew them again ...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12407-k4347232…

And if you hate the United Clubs so much, why use it at NRT? You have access to the ANA lounge which IMO gets rather cramped with few places to sit but the food is better.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
2. Re: United Business is the pits

I've not had to pay for Sam Adams in the United Clubs since they went to a free system, or am I just lucky?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 54
3. Re: United Business is the pits

Just fly ANA next time.

DC
reviews: 1
4. Re: United Business is the pits

NRT has the amazing beer machine. How can you match hat?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
5. Re: United Business is the pits

>>I've not had to pay for Sam Adams in the United Clubs since they went to a free system, or am I just lucky?<<

OP2002, I don't know about that one as I haven't had beer in a UC for years (wine and G+T for me). I'll have to remember to check this Friday.

But, there's another part of the rant that's confusing me ....

>> The food on the flight was unpalatable. Some mystery meat appetizer that they called prosciutto. Bad sushi (in tokyo? How do u manage this?); a few things rose to mediocre.<<

If you have sushi on the flight (and well yes it is just sushi-like) then you're having the Japanese Zen meal (that the OP ranted on about last time). You don't get the western appetizer with the Zen meal, so how could he have that and the prosciutto?

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
reviews: 14
6. Re: United Business is the pits

Seems to me this is mis-titled. happyguy is complaining about the "United club lounges," not "United Business."

I thought surely the original post was about flying "business class" on United, but not so. (Well, there was one reference about unpalatable prosciutto on the flight.)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
7. Re: United Business is the pits

>> Seems to me this is mis-titled. happyguy is complaining about the "United club lounges," not "United Business." <<

It looks to me as though he's complaining about the exact same issues he complained about in his last complaint 2 years ago. The cornflakes/cereal come up both times.

If he doesn't like UA business class he doesn't have to fly them again. But he did and comes back with the same complaints .... with some discrepancies.

New York City, New...
8. Re: United Business is the pits

Reply to several previous comments:

I would have flown ANA--or Botswana Air for that matter---on the return if I could have meshed it with my schedule. And I did use the ANA lounge even though it was far from my gate. I went into United first because of its proximity to my gate and in the hope that they had improved. Why, Mr. USBusinessTraveller, author of 8028 posts, did I write again? I see it as a public service: consumers should know that they haven't changed. OPP2002 says they have stopped charging for Sam Adams in their clubs. I can hope that that improvement had something to do with my previous complaint.

Actually, United doesn't even have their own lounge in NRT; it's the Star Alliance lounge. Its use by all Star Alliance members helps to make it as cozy as the Tokyo subway at rush hour. Erich_DC is right: the beer machine is good. But occasionally I want something to eat.

New York City, New...
9. Re: United Business is the pits

Just ask if you want the prosciutto. And I was not just complaining about their lounge: their food was lousy on the flight.

Edited: 7:16 am, January 30, 2013
Calgary, Canada
reviews: 41
10. Re: United Business is the pits

I flew United Business from Narita to Singapore and thought the food was very good.

We also used the SA lounge at Narita and weren't appalled.

I do not expect lounges to be divine hubs of luxurious relaxation though. Which is fortunate - because most of them aren't :)