We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lightning Fast Customer Service from United

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
Lightning Fast Customer Service from United

Late last week I had to book a trip to India, flying out this coming Friday (Feb 1). But then I realized that I hadn't received my 2013 MileagePlus card, which I'd need to get into the lounges, especially for the Lufthansa leg at Bangalore and Frankfurt (the 3.45am departure).

So, Sunday evening I call the MileagePlus desk to inquire. They said they had sent it out in December (it didn't arrive) but they'd order a new one for me. So there's me hoping it'll arrive in the mail by Thursday.

This evening (Monday) I arrive home to see a UPS packet under my doormat. From United, a MP card, two luggage tags, the invaluable drinks chits and a "personalized" letter apologizing for the inconvenience.

All in 24 hours - 5pm Sunday to 5pm Monday. Beat that for service!

Madrid
reviews: 7
1. Re: Lightning Fast Customer Service from United

As I have said before,a good customer needs looking after.Well done United.

Or as they would say on flyertalk,"how many miles did they credit to your MP account for the inconvenience"

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 24
2. Re: Lightning Fast Customer Service from United

You must be the CEO of United....... :-)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
3. Re: Lightning Fast Customer Service from United

Are you looking for a status match? :)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
4. Re: Lightning Fast Customer Service from United

>> Or as they would say on flyertalk,"how many miles did they credit to your MP account for the inconvenience"<<

Rapidex, I am sorely tempted to sign up for FT, and post there to counteract the moaning minnies. Better sleep on it first, and I may come to my senses. :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
5. Re: Lightning Fast Customer Service from United

That was a fast turnaround, kudos to UA. The microscopic (in their operating budget) UPS spend may keep your bum in UA / *A seats for the next year and beyond (but if you want to keep that BA Gold card you'll need four sectors on BA metal).

The business school boffins claim it's more difficult to retain a customer than entice a new one, so ultimately both you and UA have a positive outcome from their having done this. Would that more companies and organisations could see the benefit that a small expenditure of time, effort and / or money can give a greater return than what might have been expected.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
6. Re: Lightning Fast Customer Service from United

The thing that impressed me most is that they had to print the cards and luggage tags before shipping them. Okay, the actual printing bit is probably a one minute job, followed by the packaging, etc.. But unless they phoned through to PDX and had them do it there (impressive itself), that must have been all done on a Sunday evening within an hour or two of my call before scheduling the UPS pickup.

And TP, it looks like this is going to be a VERY travel intensive year. If you come through with that status match PDQ I may do enough travel to requalify for both 1K and Gold.

With Jeff promoted to Chairman I may have to have a quiet word, but I may be able to get you GS. But shhhh! :)

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 24
7. Re: Lightning Fast Customer Service from United

<<Would that more companies and organisations could see the benefit that a small expenditure of time, effort and / or money can give a greater return than what might have been expected.>>

I'm sure the top of the hierarchy is well aware of this, but it gets down to the individual at the bottom of the tree that deals with you and your 'problem' that can be the issue. A lot of people come on TA to complain about poor customer service, but I wonder how many of the 'ranters' have had a customer facing job - everyone should try it for a while to see what it's like to be on the end of self righteous abuse day after day!

The answer to many problems, such as sorting out the backlog caused by delays and long waits to talk to a res staff person, is to employ more people, but that drives up costs and people don't want to pay more.

I'm glad I'm out of it......

Madrid
reviews: 7
8. Re: Lightning Fast Customer Service from United

Rapidex, I am sorely tempted to sign up for FT, and post there to counteract the moaning minnies. Better sleep on it first, and I may come to my senses. :)

A good dose of common sense is always appreciated whatever fora.

9. Re: Lightning Fast Customer Service from United

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:29 am, January 29, 2013
Edited: 7:29 am, January 29, 2013
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
10. Re: Lightning Fast Customer Service from United

Hi,

"The microscopic (in their operating budget) UPS spend may keep your bum in UA / *A seats for the next year and beyond (but if you want to keep that BA Gold card you'll need four sectors on BA metal)."

==> No surprise in carrier choice... UPS and United do have commercial cargo agreements in selected foreign cities.. As example, UA is the designated overflow carrier for UPS cargo volume to NRT that can't be lifted on so-called "brown-tail" movements (UPS cargo aircraft, coded 5X).

Also, on the flip-side, United is required by CBA (Collective Barganing Unit, or Union) language to use UPS services for all domestic US express mailings to their employees (who are union members themselves) such as future layoff notices, return to work notices, and other date critical mailings, as UPS is a CBA-represented employer themselves.

So, they both have negotiated rates when using each others services.

Travel Safe,