We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best/cheapest flight booking website?

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 40
Best/cheapest flight booking website?

What have been peoples success with getting a cheaper price of their fares?

I need to book JFK -EDI - MAN - JFK in August and see that Expedia offer business class domestic legs for the same rate as the airline direct, which is only offering economy domestic legs (did I write that correct?)

So I gets thinking where do you get the cheapest pricing?

Bellaria-Igea...
reviews: 150
1. Re: Best/cheapest flight booking website?

Go to:

trabber.com

they will tell You where You can find the cheapest flight at the moment.

Melbourne
reviews: 1
2. Re: Best/cheapest flight booking website?

I would be wary of a site that offers me a brilliant flight deal if I could not get the same deal from the airline? If it's not available from the airline, how is the third-party site getting such a great deal. You don't want to find yourself paying more than you would with the airline when site XYZ lures you in with a fare of $10 and then contacts you with an "oops, sorry, that fare is no longer available, it's now $10,000", especially if you have given them your CC details.

Some of the sites that offer cheap flights are doing dodgy things with FF miles that are not their own (Alpha Flight Guru and Fly L4L are two). I don't know anything about trabber.com, but I would definitely check with the airline before handing over any hard-earned.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
3. Re: Best/cheapest flight booking website?

I would be wary of a site that offers me a brilliant flight deal if I could not get the same deal from the airline?

----------

It's commonplace. Some online TAs buy a bulk of tickets from the airline and so flog 'em off cheap. Expedia Special Fares and such, I wouldn't do it with any TA and only if the price was substantially different.

Terrigal, Australia
reviews: 250
4. Re: Best/cheapest flight booking website?

Agree with Post No.2

stick with the airlines - direct - these forums are full of posts from people complaining/ranting about 3rd party "too good to be true deals " that turn out to be just that.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
5. Re: Best/cheapest flight booking website?

The best flight booking website, and usually the cheapest, is that of the airline(s).

By all means use the likes of Kayak, Skyscanner, Matrix, etc to search for options, but once you've selected a flight take it direct to the airline for booking.

Third party bookers - even the reputable ones - introduce a middleman into the equation, which makes any changes tedious. Most 3rd party bookers also add their own change fees onto those of the airline, making changes even more expensive. Some 3rd party bookers have awful customer service and shouldn't be touched with a bargepole.

Bellaria-Igea...
reviews: 150
6. Re: Best/cheapest flight booking website?

@AussieGirl86

I can't agree with You this time.

I buy since 2001 online, directly by the airliner or in a few websites online in Italy When I bought the tickets from a website I always had minimum Euro 20 discount, if not I do not even start with it.

Two years ago I bought a return ticket only 3 days before departure MUC-DOH-BKK for Euro 408 on a website, the same flight Qatar was selling at Euro 678. This was the best deal ever. I don't intend to list all of the flights now.

Last week I had people from Sudan visiting me and they were complaining about the expensive fares they paid. More then $ 1400 per person, I found the same flight for $ 334 on Trabber.com.

Trabber.com isn't selling You anything, they only search for the cheapest fare in that particular moment and they show You the website where You can purchage it.

You try it out, make a request, doesn't cost You anything.

By the way, You don't always need to pay with credit card. Lots of sites accept Paypal and even a banktransfers.

Edited: 7:20 am, January 29, 2013
Melbourne
reviews: 1
7. Re: Best/cheapest flight booking website?

Hi ycemann,

I'm happy for you to disagree with me :) I'm just very risk-averse especially when it comes to anything to do with a holiday. I like to get the confirmation from the airline with the etkt number and the reservation number and know absolutely that the flights are sorted. It may also be that the prices for flights from Oz to the rest of the world are always expensive, I can't take a risk with that much money.

I'm sure I probably could get a better deal sometimes going through a third-party but then I'd likely get nervous and chicken out and go back to the airline. Also some of the horror-stories I've read on here where people have gone with a third-party only on price puts me off, too.

But I am intrigued to check out trabber.com, had not heard of it before yesterday.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: Best/cheapest flight booking website?

>> By the way, You don't always need to pay with credit card. Lots of sites accept Paypal and even a banktransfers.<<

Never ever ever pay for air tickets with a bank transfer. Websites that offer this should not be touched with a 10 foot pole, and many are out and out scams. You money is gone, you have no way at all to get it back.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
9. Re: Best/cheapest flight booking website?

"By the way, You don't always need to pay with credit card. Lots of sites accept Paypal and even a banktransfers."

In my view any site that doesn't accept credit cards is shouting scam.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
10. Re: Best/cheapest flight booking website?

ycemann - Trabber tells me the cheapest flight for my route is via a site called cheapoair. Would you recommend this?