We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin pull winter flights from Manchester to Las Vegas

Lancashire
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
29 reviews
Virgin pull winter flights from Manchester to Las Vegas

I can't see anywhere else on the forum that this has already been discussed so pardon me if this is old news.

I have just come off the phone to Virgin Atlantic after discovering by chance that they have changed my flight. I was booked to travel from Manchester to Las Vegas on 7th November, returning on 14th November and went into my booking online to check if the seating plan had been released. It was only then that I noticed the flight was showing as departing and returning to Gatwick.

I called the customer service team and was told that the Manchester flights have all been cancelled between November and March.

I thought it was nice of Virgin to let me know.

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Virgin pull winter flights from Manchester to Las Vegas

Karen

Are Virgin flying you down to London?

Jim

Lancashire
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Virgin pull winter flights from Manchester to Las Vegas

Nope.

They said on the phone that we can either accept the new flight or have a refund but they will not compensate us or make any contribution towards our travel down to London.

Appalling service.

Madrid
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Virgin pull winter flights from Manchester to Las Vegas

You need to google EU261/2004 and read up on your rights.

You are not entitled to any compensation because Virgin gave you more than 14 days notice.

You are entitled to either a full refund,or a full re-route.

Once you know your facts,you can go back to Virgin and point out the relevant section.If they still refuse,then you will need to threaten them with the small claims court.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
20,637 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Virgin pull winter flights from Manchester to Las Vegas

eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do…

Articles 5 and 8 -

The airline must offer you a **choice** between a full refund and alternative flights, including a reroute. They must offer you both options. If the alternative flights depart to/from a different airport, then the airline must bear the cost of transporting you to/from that other airport.

Edited: 6:45 pm, January 28, 2013
Lancashire
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Virgin pull winter flights from Manchester to Las Vegas

Thank you for the link to the legislation.

I have read and re-read Article 8 and, unless I am missing something, it appears to be referring to repatriation.

Before I call Virgin again could someone confirm that it also applies to travelling on the outbound leg of your journey.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Virgin pull winter flights from Manchester to Las Vegas

Karen

The pertinent part is Art 8.1(b) where it states that a re-route should be under comparable transport conditions. The airline cannot unilaterally cancel your flight and then turn round and say 'oh by the way you will have to make your own way 225 miles to the new departure point'. That simply isn't on as your reservation was from MAN-LAS not LGW-LAS.

You should push hard for the cost of the journey from MAN-LGW using public transport (try pricing up rtn rail fares) as you are entitled to be transported from your originally booked departure point.

Madrid
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Virgin pull winter flights from Manchester to Las Vegas

An alternative might be one of the MAN-XXX-LAS flights.It means a connection in the US,which is more of a pain than a nonstop flight,but whichever way you go Virgin must make the arrangements or reimburse you.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
12,271 posts
40 reviews
8. Re: Virgin pull winter flights from Manchester to Las Vegas

I was going to suggest, as Virgin had recently announced new domestic route to Scotland, perhaps they could route the OP that way. However, a closer look shows those route to link to LHR, so not a lot of help to the OP whose flight now departs from LGW.

SWT

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
28,678 posts
9. Re: Virgin pull winter flights from Manchester to Las Vegas

Virgin were supposed to be doing MAN-LHR from March so I'm surprised they haven't given OP that option plus a taxi between LHR & LGW.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
311 posts
95 reviews
10. Re: Virgin pull winter flights from Manchester to Las Vegas

I think this is a real shame from the airports point of view. Surely an airport the size of Manchester should be offering a year round direct service to one of the USA 's major tourist attractions. Not what I would expect of what is supposedly one of our best airports in the UK.

Regards

DilbertPhilbert