We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying to australia

West Bromwich...
flying to australia

my wife and i are flying to australia in april to visit our daughter .we are flying to sydney from heathrow via guangzhou in china.do we need any visas as our stopover in china is only 4 hours.what currency would we need to buy refreshments in this airport .this is our first flight outside europe and we are both a bit apprehensive thanks fof any replies

Frankfurt, Germany
reviews: 3
1. Re: flying to australia

That's what I found on the homepage of the Chineses Embassy in Canberra

Under the following circumstances, no visa is required for foreigners to transit at Chinese airports:

Foreigners who have confirmed onward tickets and seats on international flights, and do not exit the transit airport boundary within 24 hours.

To me it looks like that applies for all foreigners.

You might want to double check that.

Coffs Harbour...
reviews: 137
2. Re: flying to australia

In answer to your question, you will need to use chinese currency. Although they may accept pounds, the exchange will be awful. I suggest changing 20-50 pounds into Chinese currency while in th UK and it will be enough for the basics while transiting in both directions.

Have a great trip

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
3. Re: flying to australia

When we don't have the cuurency of the country when we're in transit we usually pay with credit card even if it's just a small amount.

sydney australia
reviews: 108
4. Re: flying to australia

I am guessing you are flying on China Southern - what happens at interantional airports when you are in transit - there will be other passengers connecting to Sydney Melbourne Brisbane, Perth and Auckland - as well as other destinations in Asia.

There is normally a sign that says

Arrivals - or Customs Immigration and one that says Transit

you will normally need to be re screened for security and if you do not have your onward boarding pass - a visit to the transit desk. I imagine your boarding pass will be issued when you leave the UK - so its should be easy - you just go to the transit lounge - look at the shops stretch your legs maybe take a shower and then onto the aircraft for your final leg to Australia

West Bromwich...
5. Re: flying to australia

thanks for all your replies and advice

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
6. Re: flying to australia

I wouldn't bother buying any RMB if you are only in transit for an couple of hours.

Every shop in the secure area where you will be, will accept credit cards - even for small purchases.

Thousands of people a day are in the same situation as yourselves. You can be sure they will accommodate you.

I would agree with Douglass - don't offer foreign currency - they will take it but give you a horrible exchange rate.

New Delhi, India
reviews: 23
7. Re: flying to australia

I agree - use a credit card.

8. Re: flying to australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 10, 2014