We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

feel my pain... A year old baby on a 10 hour flight! Help!

London, United...
reviews: 12
feel my pain... A year old baby on a 10 hour flight! Help!

Hi all

Wonder if someone would be kind enough to offer some assistance regarding a holiday idea we have. We have a 4 year old and a one year old and thinking of travelling to Florida from the UK. Biggest fear is having a one year on my lap for 10 hours! Would anyone suggest buying a seat or if you know of any travel cot options for the flight (which operators have this available? Please let me know anything.

Regards

Edd

UK
reviews: 84
1. Re: feel my pain... A year old baby on a 10 hour flight! Help!

IMO you would be barking NOT to buy a seat, the bassinet positions arent guaranteed, and are likely too small for a 1 year old, who anyway will be mobile or at least squirming around and unlikely to stay put in a cot for 10+ hours. Even a child seat would be not great but at least you dont have a dead weight on you for hours.

Anyway I'd also say you should give it 3 or 4 years. A 1 year old wont get anything out of Florida (nor will any child under 3 ) , also not sure when you'd go but it can be blisteringly hot so then you are stuck keeping him or her out of the sun all the time.

If its a trip to see The Mouse you wont be both be able to go on each ride, so you will either go on half of them for the 4 year old or one of you will miss out a lot.

If its a Disney trip why not go when both children can benefit, if its not, there are plenty of closer by places you can get sunshine and sand and sea without such a long and expensive journey.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 40
2. Re: feel my pain... A year old baby on a 10 hour flight! Help!

I flew alone with my daughter when she was 15 months. Winnipeg -> Toronto-> London. She sat on my lap the whole way. Its manageable but not a huge lot of fun...I have no recall of how I managed to eat my meals, and I know she didn't sleep until we were just about to land. Plus this was 17 years ago so no fancy entertainment options.

It can be done, but her own seat, and preferably a car seat would be easier.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
3. Re: feel my pain... A year old baby on a 10 hour flight! Help!

I know that people do this every day but I wonder if it wouldn't be more fun for everyone if you picked a holiday location closer to home for the next few years??

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
4. Re: feel my pain... A year old baby on a 10 hour flight! Help!

If only as a matter of safety, buy your infant a seat, and strap them in a car seat. Far safer than having them on your lap unrestrained.

Carlisle, United...
reviews: 42
5. Re: feel my pain... A year old baby on a 10 hour flight! Help!

I've taken my daughter on holiday 6 times, the longest journey was 6 hours when she was six months old. She was fine on all of the journeys until we took her when she was 1 year old and walking, she wanted to be everywhere and it was a difficult experience. When we went in January we paid for extra leg room and set up a little area for her to play in with a blanket on the floor with toys and teddies to occupy her, she was fine.We had the conversation about taking our daughter to Disney yesterday and agreed she probably wouldn't get any benefit out of it as she wouldn't remember the experience so we're going to wait until she's around 5, so it's short haul for us until then.

London
reviews: 27
6. Re: feel my pain... A year old baby on a 10 hour flight! Help!

In my experience, the bassinet positions are just a pain in the wotsit. Any turbulence, when the seat belt signs come on, and they have to be stowed away, and the infant returned to your seat. Which happens all the time on transatlantic flights. There is no point bringing a car seat UNLESS you pay for a regular seat to strap it into.

Only you know what your tolerance levels are, but it's not easy with two little'uns. Given their ages, a trip to Florida is better put off until they are both a few years older, imho.

Canada
reviews: 41
7. Re: feel my pain... A year old baby on a 10 hour flight! Help!

Once I was on a flight to hell and the person next to me had an 18 month old on her lap (or at least tried) who cried non-stop for 8 hrs. After extreme discomfort, I asked the FA if there were any empty seats and I was moved to Business class (thank you!)

I appreciate parents not wanting to give young tots, sleeping aids but please think of the rest of the passengers! Even the FA's tried walking the aisles with this child to give mommy a break.

Do your ears ever pop on a plane? Think how bad that could be for a one year old.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
reviews: 131
8. Re: feel my pain... A year old baby on a 10 hour flight! Help!

Having a 1 year old on your lap for 10 hours seems like a nightmare to me. When mine was a year old, he was walking and I don't know how I would have forced him to sit on my lap for that many hours in a row! At least if he has a seat, you can strap him in (although he may not be happy about that and it is more expensive).

Atlanta, Georgia
9. Re: feel my pain... A year old baby on a 10 hour flight! Help!

As a mother of three now grown children, I think Bournemouth is a nice place for a family holiday.

Yes, buy a seat, it is safer for your child.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
10. Re: feel my pain... A year old baby on a 10 hour flight! Help!

I have a 7.5 month old, who flies frequently and well, and I agree - buy a seat!

If your kid is the type who will happily sit on your lap for ten hours, then more power to you, but even at 7.5 months, mine definitely won't. The older they get, the harder it is. Travel bassinets are only for very small babies, and US operators don't use them anyway.