We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AA/ Iberia Codeshare seat assignment

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 12
AA/ Iberia Codeshare seat assignment

I was booking a flight MIA-MAD but went to the seat assignment chart before completing it ansd saw that I was only allowed to make a seat selection on the outgoing leg MIA- MAD (operated by AA). For my return ( an AA flight number that says operated by Iberia), no seat assignment diagram woud come up. I called AA and was told that for AA passengers , Iberia only assigns the seats at the time of the fligh sort of on a standby basis" and you can't select your seat in advance if the booking is an AA reservation. Can anyone give me any insight about this? I did not complete my boolking , but did then try to go on the Iberia website and book it all as an Iberia reservation, but no seat assignment diagram would come up prior to my having to charge my credit card-. I am very uneasy to book on this basis- any guidance?

7 replies to this topic
reviews: 41
1. Re: AA/ Iberia Codeshare seat assignment

we did the same thing last summer, we were outbound JFK to MAD , Iberian. I tried calling the airline, called AA, etc. with no luck trying to get seat assignments. it freaked me out, but it ended up being fine,

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
2. Re: AA/ Iberia Codeshare seat assignment

For economy, I believe Iberia will only allow seat selection 24 hours in advance. If this doesn't work for you, don't book this flight.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 12
3. Re: AA/ Iberia Codeshare seat assignment

I just called Iberia and was a told we'd have to switch the reservation to one with Iberia under its flight number and pay for it first and then they would assign us a seat.. no information as to what seats they might be - and the flight is $90 pp more expensive for the same flight if booked as the Iberia flight number. to get thee mystery seats- no advance seat assignments for AA passengers... ..

I don't think I am comfortable with that- it reminds me of priceline/hotwire- pay first then find out what you bought..

Shreveport...
reviews: 63
4. Re: AA/ Iberia Codeshare seat assignment

This happened to me 2 years ago. I hate not having assigned seats. But it turned out just fine. Me and hubby sat together- no worries.

I bought tickets a few days ago for Spain with AA and of course the flight from Granada to MAD was code share with Iberia and no seat assignments. Went to their website and I could swear it said for economy you could pay 4€ each to get your assigned seat ( or wait 24 hrs ahead of flight). But when I tried to get them my AA reservations info did not work and I could not do it.

But like I said we had no problem whatsoever without advance assignment last trip to Spain. So I guess I will stop being a worrywart.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
5. Re: AA/ Iberia Codeshare seat assignment

As Gracie said, Iberia only allows you to select a seat for free at 24 hours before your flight. It doesn't matter whether your flight is listed as AA or IB in that case since IB's rules apply for your return flight.

Many people don't pay to select seats in economy in advance so normally you should still get a choice of seats at T-24. The important thing is to make sure you have the IB booking reference number. If you only have AA's, call up AA and ask for IB's. Armed with that number, you then go to IB's website at T-24 to check-in online and secure your seats. You do not go to AA's website to check in for an IB-operated flight.

Edited: 10:23 pm, January 27, 2013
Kennebunkport, Maine
reviews: 2
6. Re: AA/ Iberia Codeshare seat assignment

I just called the Iberia reservations line and found that they had already assigned very nice seats for our trip. I asked for a code and was given a five character code which will not work until 24 hours before the flight for printing boarding passes. All is well.

London, United...
reviews: 408
7. Re: AA/ Iberia Codeshare seat assignment

From e-ticket one can find reference code for both AA and Iberia. With the Iberia one you can select seats by paying extra in advance or do so when seat selection process opened up 24 hours prior to flight. No need to panic as it is normal procedure in Europe.

Reply to: AA/ Iberia Codeshare seat assignment
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted