We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAN airlines lousy service

Santiago, Chile
LAN airlines lousy service

Attention:CEO customer service

Beware of flying LAN

I am writing today as I have been sadly  misled to the quality of your airline. I had been assured that LAN was world class in its efficiency, reliability  and customer service. This has proven to be false. 

In the last month I have taken 7 LAN flights. They will be my last. As a frequent flyer I fly up to 50 to 70 flights yearly. I know quality airlines and you have failed to qualify.

My first misadventure was when I checked my  email inthe departure lounge in montevideo on dec 30 and was informed that  the plane I was boarding was cancelled and I would have to fly later. I was confused as I was boarding and had a seat assigned. It took off on time. I suspect that you had over booked and we trying to accommodate other passengers and I probably didn't meet your criteria.

On dec 31 , i changed my reservation and was told I had to pay an additional $225 . No problem! I gave them my credit card and the following day I was phoned and told that it was wrong and that the fee was now $373.  Ok, I paid as I had changed all my hotel and transportation reservation thinking that LAN knew what they were doing ,I was wrong of course. 

On jan 24 , I went to check in 24 hours prior to the flight and found out that I had a seat but no ticket. Figure that one out! And of course in order to fix all this I needed to pay more $,, this time it was 444$. I am not sure that I have  a ticket or a seat on the plane to Santiago as I have no confidence that you know what u are doing. As I was at Iquitos airport at the time, and LAN had just cancelled their 855am flight and failed to inform me, I had 10 hours at the airport to straighten out this matter . Exactly what is the purpose of providing a phone number and email if you dont bother contacting customer in the event of a cancellation? In spite of the fact that there were 2 other flights that day, 6 pm was the best they could do for me. 

Presently I am sitting on my very sore butt waiting to see if LAN will ever get me out of iquitos. I have no doubt that tomorrow's flight to Santiago  will be another disaster.WE have now decided to change our plans to fly from MVD  to SYD  on LAN and will seek a more reliable Carrier.

To say I am incredibly  disappointed is an understatement.

1. Re: LAN airlines lousy service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, January 26, 2013
Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
2. Re: LAN airlines lousy service

Yes, but how were the flights themselves?

London, United...
reviews: 22
3. Re: LAN airlines lousy service

Ok, not sure where to start. CEO means chief executive officer, this is someone in charge of the whole organisation, not just the cs department.

The odds of the CEO or cs manager of LAN reading this are probably quite remote, although possible.

If you wish to write and complain about them, you actually need to do it to them and not on a public forum.

If your post is simply to alert others, then job done, as I agree, sounds like a badly organised, frustrating, mess and I wouldn't be happy either.

Santiago, Chile
4. Re: LAN airlines lousy service

This was a heads up to others re LAN. .i am aware what CEO means but if you read the company literature,i.e. annual reports,you will learn that LAN has a CEO of passenger service ,CEO cargo etc.this was a copy of a letter sent to the management group .

Seattle and Punta...
reviews: 3
5. Re: LAN airlines lousy service

I fly LAN with some regularity and normally truely enjoy their fine service. While no airline is perfect I would certainly put the quality of food and service head and shoulders above it's American competition. And, if the gentleman wants to see a poorly run airline, I suggest he tries to fly Aerolineas Argentinas.

London, United...
reviews: 22
6. Re: LAN airlines lousy service

Yes, They have a CEO for passenger and one for cargo but I certainly can't see a CEO for only cs. Who is this?

You never stated this was a copy of a letter, and of course it does look like you are writing to a non existent person, although one would assume the letter will get to where it's going, as ultimately someone is responsible for the cs department, I would assume the CEO for passenger, unless there really is a CEO for cs?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
7. Re: LAN airlines lousy service

Hi,

Side-steepping the whole "Who/what is a CS CEO" for a minute and looking more at the content here, I personally see several issues...

#1) I personally think sending or addressing a first-round letter to a CEO-type person, is not the most effective way. While it might work for some, I suspect that it will either be a moot point, or may even slow down the process.

To me, I'd write their first-line CS department and give them the chance to address the matter. THEN if it's not addressed or addressed in/to the level you expect (whether or not that's correct or factually supported) you'd escalate up the chain-of-command, and send the follow-up letter to the CEO-type asking for reconsideration or the like.

Many airlines use a centralized mail operation and even those letters addressed or marked to the "CEO" are opened and read for content. If it is something that really is a matter for a lower-level person or department, it's kicked back to that department for action.

I'm not against writing to the CEO per se, only that I think you bolster your case when you write to him/her and can show you've *already* tried going thru proper front-line channels and still haven't received what you deem to be proper resolution, and are now turning to him/her for assistance/intervention.

#2) I'm not crystal clear what this letter is really supposed to do. By that I mean is this a rant, or is it a letter seeking some action?

I don't mean rant in an overtly negative format- as sometimes the expression of frustration can be good. BUT if the reason for the letter is to invoke some action on LAN's part, I'm not clear on *exactly* what that is you expect them to do or the time frame in which you expect that to be done.

#3) The "scorched earth" position. As a whole I personally do not advocate using, saying or suggesting in your opening letter that you won't ever use them again or similar.

Why? Quite simply, if this is read by a front-line clerk (as most all letters are) it's not entirely inconceivable that a letter in which one of the opening sentences makes clear the writers position of.. "In the last month I have taken 7 LAN flights. They will be my last." will either motivate the clerk to approve some action to "save" you as a future customer or similar.

In the end, to me, these kinds of letters-- again, as first-round letters-- that already effectively say 'I'll never fly you again' doesn't tend to engender any passenger recovery actions on the part of the carrier, but leaves the impression that you're already a 'lost (passenger) cause' so to speak.

I do see some areas where, based only one side of the matter being presented-- leaves room for improvement like the fare differential matter and flight operations; however, if the basis for the letter is to get something back-- be that compensation, a simple apology, or otherwise, it's not clear exactly what that is you expect nor the manner and time-frame for such.

Letters that go to businesses of LAN's size are, rightly or wrongly, addressed rather quick by mail rooms or company-wide customer relations people who must process so many letters per day.. , so I always advocate making your first-round letter "easy" to resolve by saying exactly what are the base one or two points you're raising, and exactly what you *reasonably* expect to be done and the time-frame for that.

These kinds of letters to me, are far easier and quicker for a front-line person to read, resolve and close-- and that to me is what you as the writer are commonly after as well.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 3:52 am, January 27, 2013
San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
reviews: 82
8. Re: LAN airlines lousy service

Some good points. LAN is not alone in falling down on customer service in this region, although it is one of my favourite airlines. I would have thought that the OP, asan experienced traveller, would know at you should never rely on an airline to inform you of a change in flight times. Always check and double check for yourself.

I am currently in a trip to Chile, flying LAN, and the T&Cs state that there is a $200 fee to change my ticket, plus any difference in fare. Since fares usually go up the closer to the flying date, that is presumably what happened here.

Afew years ago, I was involuntarily downgraded on a LAN flight from SCL to LIM, and the attendants on board would not move me into business class, even though it was virtually empty and I had a printout of my eticket to show them. Instead of making a fuss, I asked to fill in a complaints form. I stated the facts of the case in an objective manner, knowing that any kind of rant would be counter productive. I received compensation of around $800usd. My worry is that the OP's letter might have been too inflammatory. But good luck anyway.

Edited: 7:29 am, January 27, 2013
Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 126
9. Re: LAN airlines lousy service

I have to say that we also had problems with LAN flights when we were in South america last year but Aeorolinas weren't much better as they were also always delayed or cancelled but after speaking to other people this seems to be normal policcy in South America, maybe someone can confirm if this is true or not.

10. Re: LAN airlines lousy service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 29, 2014