We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opodo booking, what if i miss my connecting flight?

jersey
reviews: 19
Opodo booking, what if i miss my connecting flight?

I booked a UK flight to Lima with Opodo. The flight's are BA with AA, and i realised too late that the stopovers are a bit too tight in New York. What if i miss my connection, will i be placed on a next flight for free, or will i lose the ticket?

Also,If i booked with BA directly would this have been the same/different?

Thanx.

Edited: 3:17 pm, January 25, 2013
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 75
1. Re: Opodo booking, what if i miss my connecting flight?

The flights are on one ticket so they will put you on next available flight, just don't expect them to supply hotel etc if it is the next day. Same would go if booked through BA

jersey
2. Re: Opodo booking, what if i miss my connecting flight?

Thanks,

although the flights are on one Opodo booking, there is a change of airports in New york, does this change anything?

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
3. Re: Opodo booking, what if i miss my connecting flight?

How long do you have to change airports?

Are the flights on one tickets with the airlines? If you go on the BA website can you see it?

jersey
4. Re: Opodo booking, what if i miss my connecting flight?

I have 5.15 hours to change airports, booked it 1 month ago, will check BA website.

jersey
5. Re: Opodo booking, what if i miss my connecting flight?

Yes Bongoblob, i checked Ba site, and my booking is there. So i guess i'm safe if somehow i miss my tight travel connection, having to change EWR to JFK airport with 5.15 hours?

Seems tight for BA to issue flights like these?

what do you think/?

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
6. Re: Opodo booking, what if i miss my connecting flight?

So your booking shows both BA & AA flights? if yes then you are covered. I have seen BA offer flights into LHR and out of GTW with 4.5 hrs so it is not too surprising. Good luck

jersey
7. Re: Opodo booking, what if i miss my connecting flight?

Yes, the booking made with Opodo is showing the BA and AA flights on the BA site, although contact details are referrred to Opodo.

BA are usually accomodating, so i'm guessing that if i had connection issues and missed a flight they'd put me on another for free. If so, that's great. I also have a 4.5 hour Gatwick-Heathrow connection as well!

Cheers, Chris.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
8. Re: Opodo booking, what if i miss my connecting flight?

What a fun day you have planned!!!!

I hope you don't get too stressed. Have you asked on the NYC forum the best way to get across town?

UK
reviews: 88
9. Re: Opodo booking, what if i miss my connecting flight?

So your booking shows both BA & AA flights? if yes then you are covered. I have seen BA offer flights into LHR and out of GTW with 4.5 hrs so it is not too surprising. Good luck

-------

They will, ludicrously, book that with as low as a 3 hour connection.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
10. Re: Opodo booking, what if i miss my connecting flight?

>> stopovers are a bit too tight in New York. What if i miss my connection, will i be placed on a next flight for free, or will i lose the ticket? <<

Assuming both flights are on the same ticket, if you miss the JFK-Lima flight then you'll be rebooked by AA onto the next flight with available seats. You won't lose the ticket. But, I doubt AA has many (more than one per day) flight to Lima so you'll be inconvenienced.

>> Also,If i booked with BA directly would this have been the same/different? <<

Strictly speaking no, but if you did research on the connection instead of (I suspect) just clicking on the cheap option you'd be in better shape. BA has far more flights to JFK than EWR do that's your fault for not researching. My guess is that you'd have been better searching on ba.com.

As to how to make the transfer, you have your other thread. You need to allow at least an hour to clear immigration and customs at EWR. If you follow the public transit route (NJ transit to Penn Station, then Long Island, etc) you may be okay. Research it well before leaving.

I've not done that transfer, but it sounds similar to going from Heathrow to Gatwick, by taking the tube to Victoria or London Bridge, and then a semi stopping train to Gatwick; the one that's fast to East Croydon, but then Purley and all seven other stops to Gatwick. Doable? Possibly just. Good luck.