We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK Airside Transit Visa?

New York City, New...
2 posts
1 review
UK Airside Transit Visa?

My wife and I live in the US. I have a valid work visa in the US (valid for the next two years), and my wife is a green card holder (permanent resident). We are both Indian passport holders.

We're traveling to India in May via Heathrow on British Airways, and on the way back, we want to visit Ireland with a short layover in London Heathrow. I know we need an Irish tourist visa, but do we really need an airside transit visa to transit through Heathrow?

My understanding is that if one has valid documentation (visa/green card) to enter the US, one doesn't need a transit visa while going through Heathrow.

Just wanted to confirm my understanding. Thoughts and guidance really appreciated.

UK
Level Contributor
47,744 posts
91 reviews
1. Re: UK Airside Transit Visa?

You'll have to go to the UK visa website and check. IIRC from a similar question here, your green cards are irrelevant, its only your nationality that matters, and you do need one, which may put you off flights transiting through LHR.

Check here …homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/…

hmmmm .. or looking at the exemptions, maybe you don't need one. Its quite confusing !

Edited: 1:17 pm, January 24, 2013
UK
Level Contributor
47,744 posts
91 reviews
2. Re: UK Airside Transit Visa?

... to add to the confusion, this seems to say you CANNOT do it;

"You cannot transit the UK airside if you are on your way to or from the Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man."

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
20,615 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: UK Airside Transit Visa?

In order to transit to the Republic of Ireland at Heathrow (or any UK airport when arriving internationally) you must clear immigration into the United Kingdom. The UK and ROI operate a Common Travel Area, so ROI flights count as domestic from the UK**.

So, if you don't have visa free clearance to enter the UK, you will need a UK visa to do this.

** - although note you do still also need to clear immigration on arrival in Ireland if traveling by air.

Edited: 1:47 pm, January 24, 2013
New York City, New...
2 posts
1 review
4. Re: UK Airside Transit Visa?

Thank you all for your responses.

5. Re: UK Airside Transit Visa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 26, 2014