We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

L4L and other ticket using purchased points deals

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 5
L4L and other ticket using purchased points deals

Hello,

Are the deals by companies like L4L and others, which buy unused company frequent flyer points in USA and sell them to travellers legal and recognised by airlines? They require cash payment but am concerned that tickets may not be treated the same as normal purchases by airlines.

Thanks in anticipation

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
1. Re: L4L and other ticket using purchased points deals

I don't know of any airline that allows these points to be sold. If you are found out, your ticket will be cancelled, and this does happen. Do a search for this company and you can pull up threads discussing this.

Advise you not do this.

UK
reviews: 77
2. Re: L4L and other ticket using purchased points deals

am concerned that tickets may not be treated the same as normal purchases by airlines

======

If undetected as being purchased via airmiles acquired by third parties, they are treated the same. If detected, they would usually cancelled.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
3. Re: L4L and other ticket using purchased points deals

>> legal and recognised by airlines? <<

It's not illegal as far as it being a criminal offense. But it is most definitely not recognized by the airlines, as bartering (buying/selling) FF miles, upgrades, etc. is specifically against the terms and conditions of the frequent flyer programs.

If the airline finds out, they can/will cancel your ticket and you'll have to buy a new one to get to your destination or get home. If you're also a frequent flyer with the airline they'll cancel your FF account and confiscate your miles.

How often does that happen? We don't know, but there's certainly a risk, and the US carriers are paying more attention to this (American has secured an injunction against one of these brokers).

Here are some examples l to illustrate what happens if you're busted dealing in bartered miles, upgrades, etc., to both sellers and buyers.

flyertalk.com/forum/american-aadvantage/6893…

flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileageplus-conso…

Edited: 2:56 pm, January 24, 2013
Bendigo, Australia
reviews: 52
4. Re: L4L and other ticket using purchased points deals

We are just about to accept a business class fare to turkey return. I am interested in what other people have experienced with L4L.

There seems to be mixed responses mostly by people opting NOT to fly with L4L. We are days away from paying.

Bendigo, Australia
reviews: 52
5. Re: L4L and other ticket using purchased points deals

We are just about to accept a business class fare to turkey return. I am interested in what other people have experienced with L4L.

There seems to be mixed responses mostly by people opting NOT to fly with L4L. We are days away from paying.

Melbourne
reviews: 1
6. Re: L4L and other ticket using purchased points deals

Hi cartoon,

Only you can decide if you are prepared to take the risk. Everything I've read about L4L (and the other one whose name escapes me at the moment) is that what they are doing is against the T&Cs of the airline FF programs. As USBT has said, it's not technically *illegal* as in against the law, so it's not going to land you in the slammer, but you risk having your ticket cancelled, which would put rather a dampener on a holiday.

If you want opinions on L4L, there are a number of threads that a quick search will pull up. Maybe read through these and then decide.

Edit - just remembered 'the other one' is Alpha Flight Guru

Edited: 12:56 am, January 27, 2013
Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
7. Re: L4L and other ticket using purchased points deals

I would not risk my money with company like L4L.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
8. Re: L4L and other ticket using purchased points deals

Even the most recent poster of Alpha Flight Guru had their ticket cancelled due to violation of the airline's (AA) FF rules. They were lucky as they noticed it a few days before flying and AFG bought them a new ticket. I suppose they ate into their (ill gotten) profits to cover their rear end.

But, it doesn't always work like that. Some pax don't check their reservation and get the bad news at the airport. Some airlines deliberately spring the news on you at the airport. You could call that an ambush, but they do it to exact maximum cooperation from you in return for a new ticket, which they charge you for but may cut you something cheaper if you cooperate.

Read those FT threads I linked to earlier. One of them is rather recent.

Edited: 1:09 am, January 27, 2013
9. Re: L4L and other ticket using purchased points deals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 29, 2014