We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Dulles with connections

San Diego...
reviews: 311
Paris to Dulles with connections

I have a 2 hr. 20 minute layover in Dulles before my flight to San Diego. Plenty of time to go through re entry customs? Thankyou for any comments. :)

DC
reviews: 1
1. Re: Paris to Dulles with connections

Yes, especially if both flights are on UA.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 91
2. Re: Paris to Dulles with connections

Probably. But remember, you have to clear immigration, wait for your checked bag to show up, clear customs, drop off your bag for your connecting flight and then clear security again, before heading to your next gate.

If there are a lot of flights arriving around the time your flight does, it could be tight. Last time I did a TATL, arriving back at IAD, we made our connecting flight (we had a 2.5 hour connection) with about five minutes to spare. Lines were horrible.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 51
3. Re: Paris to Dulles with connections

Airlines? Separate tickets?

San Diego...
4. Re: Paris to Dulles with connections

All on United bags will directly transfer to our next United flight, so no problem there. So looks like all Is good? We had an experience on United last spring where we flew from Frankfrut to LAX and then had a connection with United to San Diego. Had a 1/1/2 hr. layover, and it was terrible. So many problems with customs with people , long line, that we barley had time to get our flight. So this time I am cautious .

Thanks again to responds.

Denise

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
5. Re: Paris to Dulles with connections

Typically the bottleneck is at immigration as opposed to customs but I've rarely experienced issues at the midfield immigration that UA connecting passengers use. 2hrs 20mins should be plenty.

San Diego...
6. Re: Paris to Dulles with connections

Thankyou so much for your feedback. I appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Denise

Seattle, Washington
7. Re: Paris to Dulles with connections

All on United bags will directly transfer to our next United flight, so no problem there

No, they won't. Unless you are arriving in the US from an airport that has US preclearance (& CDG does not), you always must clear customs at your first point of entry into the US.

Flying from CDG-IAD, you'll have to wait for your bags to be unloaded, pick them up, clear customs and drop them off for your SAN flight.

Edited: 12:50 pm, January 24, 2013
San Diego...
8. Re: Paris to Dulles with connections

Thankyou Gracie-boo!!!!

I called and spoke to United and you are right, since we are in buisness first we will be first off and can go through customs, and get our bag right there, and then go through immigration. The agent said our baggage will be right outside immigration and we drop off our bags at the kios and take the tram to terminal D for San Diego. He felt we had ample time. Said the airline shows at the most 1 1/2 to go through entry. Said that since there is over 200 people on board with us in buisness we have an advantage.

P.S Gracie the agent said you should come and work for them!!! You gave a good answer.

THANKYOU! Denise:)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
9. Re: Paris to Dulles with connections

The agent was wrong.

There's no tram. UA connecting passengers use immigration at the midfield C/D concourse.

You'll clear Immigration then collect bags, then clear customs then security where you'll emerge in the C/D concourse departures. Not sure how they thought you'd clear customs without your possessions!

Edited: 8:15 pm, January 24, 2013
Seattle, Washington
10. Re: Paris to Dulles with connections

You're welcome. Sometimes I think these agents have never been in an airport, becaue OP2002 is right about the order. You must first clear immigration, pick up your bags at the bag carousel, then clear customs, drop your bag off, go through security, and then get to your next gate.

<<<<<<<<<

P.S Gracie the agent said you should come and work for them!!! You gave a good answer.

>>>>>>>>>>

This is hilarious, because some people posting here already think I do work for an airline, which isn't true!

Edited: 8:43 pm, January 24, 2013