We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa the Airline from Hell- or why I will NEVER fly wit

Portishead, United...
reviews: 1
Lufthansa the Airline from Hell- or why I will NEVER fly wit

On 17th January 2013 my wife and I,together with two friends arrived at Munich Airport at 12-10pm for the 15.25pm flight.LH2502 to Manchester GB.We noticed as we checked the depature board that a lot of flights had been cancelled because of the snow.We boarded the aircraft approximately an hour late and were advised by the captain that because of adverse weather conditions we would have at least one hour to wait.Time passed,then after about two hours in total he informed us that the crew had exceeded their hours and we would have to leave the aircraft and return to the terminal where we would have to rebook on an other flight.So far not unreasonable.

Once in the terminal we were directed to a queue with over a thousand other passengers already in it.The time was about 6.45pm

The queue moved very slowly,a trolley was pushed around offering bottles of water,dry biscuits and pieces of cheese,( I am allergic to cheese).The peoplewith the trolleys declined to answer any of our questions.We took turns to walk to the front of the queue to check on any progress and noticed that there was never more than three staff at any time manning the desks mostly it was two.At about 1am the desk clerks told people that they were leaving and would return at 5am.We noticed that thre was a strong police presence there at that time.We discovered from other passengers that the Red Cross had put up camp beds,but because we had neared the front of the queue and did not want to lose our place,two of us stayed.There were many people trying to sleep on the floor.Next day we noticed piles of blankets but nobody had bothered to inform us.At 5am the desk opened and we were finally attended to at 7.30amWe collected a leaflet from th desk which states:-

IF THERE IS NO LONGER ANY CHANCE OF YOUR REACHING YOUR DESTINATION TODAY,WE WLL LOOK AFTER YOU BY OFFERING YOU SERVICE IN THE FORM OF RERESHMENTS,MEALS AND OVERNIGHT ACCOMMODATION IN ACCORDANCE WITH EU REGULATION 261/04.YOU CAN OBTAIN RELEVANT VOUCHERS FROM THE LUFTHANSA SERVICE COUNTERS.It took almost 13 hours to reach the counter.When I asked about the meal vouchers they told us that the cheese, biscuits and water were all we were entitld to.

We finally boarded the aircraft just after 4pm and landed 25 hours later than we had planned.

The delay was not the fault of Lufthans but the dreadful way we were treated in the terminal was.

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
1. Re: Lufthansa the Airline from Hell- or why I will NEVER fly wit

You can tell by the heading that it's a first post.......

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
2. Re: Lufthansa the Airline from Hell- or why I will NEVER fly wit

In view of the weather conditions and the number of passengers who would have had flights disrupted not clear what you expected them to do.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
3. Re: Lufthansa the Airline from Hell- or why I will NEVER fly wit

Hi,

All told, to me at least, it sounds like they did well.. honestly..

They provided refreshments-- the fact that you're allergic to cheese not withstanding-- while in line tells me at least there was some planning as to passenger duty of care.

They advised you of your EU mandated rights and it sounds like they met them... or there's no indication that they didn't..

I'm not really seeing a whole lot of "... dreadful.. " here.. Unpleasant? perhaps. Unfortunate? Sure.. Dreadful? Maybe... but I think not a lot of that is really "on" Lufthansa per se.

Yes, perhaps for you a different food item would have been better-- but I also cede that in these cases where there's a mass feeding, you've got to go with something that's shelf-stable (can hold at room temp for a while) and meets most peoples dietary needs/limits.. So to me cheese isn't an unreasonable offering.

Sounds like you got timely information about what the status was and that there was no "on again, off again, boarding and re-boarding" scenario that some experience in these kind of cases..

The line I suspect was long, but I also think that that was due to the sheer numbers of people, plus the possibility that each person/transaction wasn't the quickest as each one was a re-booking and not something simpler, less time-intensive.

Travel Safe,

Oxford, United...
reviews: 122
4. Re: Lufthansa the Airline from Hell- or why I will NEVER fly wit

This may help?

"For all departures from or within Europe, the entitlements apply regardless of the nationality of the airline. If, though, the flight departs from outside the EU, then the rules apply only to European airlines flying to an EU member state; in the case of flights from Egypt, that means the likes of BA, easyJet, Monarch or Thomson Airways.

The rules provide for cash compensation if the delay is three hours or more. If you were travelling on a qualifying airline, then you should be able to claim compensation of €400 per person if the airline cannot demonstrate “extraordinary circumstances” which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.

The definition of what constitutes “extraordinary circumstances” has been argued over endlessly. Some events – such as heavy snow or volcanic ash grounding all flights – are clearly beyond the airline’s control. Others, such as routine maintenance work that overruns, are the responsibility of the airline. As a last resort the Civil Aviation Authority will arbitrate when the airline claims “extraordinary circumstances”. The CAA has produced a useful web page, including a standard letter to make a claim, for which I have created a short link: bit.ly/CAAhelp."

independent.co.uk/travel/simon-calder/simon-…

Its a recent story from Jan 2013 ...... I saw a similar programme during bbc news were he did a bit about compensation, but can't find it on the beeb website, but it was specifically about EU carriers and flights within the EU. The snow issue however, may not be considered. Worth a look at his articles/blogs on the issues of compensation and so forth.

Milford, Ohio
reviews: 84
5. Re: Lufthansa the Airline from Hell- or why I will NEVER fly wit

People are never happy when they are delayed or inconvenienced. What do you expect with a weather delay that impacts so many flights? You had the opportunity to get a cot/bed/blanket but you chose to stay in the queue. I would have called the airline directly while in the queue.

Lufthansa is one of the better airlines (in my opinion).

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
6. Re: Lufthansa the Airline from Hell- or why I will NEVER fly wit

LH did what they were expected to do.

How would similar weather conditions affect flight from UK?

UK
reviews: 13
7. Re: Lufthansa the Airline from Hell- or why I will NEVER fly wit

People, please do not put anymore replies until the OP comments again. One post rants really should be left alone.

Portishead, United...
reviews: 1
8. Re: Lufthansa the Airline from Hell- or why I will NEVER fly wit

Feed us

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
9. Re: Lufthansa the Airline from Hell- or why I will NEVER fly wit

When things like this happen no airport can cope because it's unexpected, it was the same at the London airports total chaos it's just luck if you happen to be travelling when weather conditions are bad.

London
reviews: 34
10. Re: Lufthansa the Airline from Hell- or why I will NEVER fly wit

The irony - a troll that DIDN'T get fed .....