We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting Flights - BKK & DMK

Mumbai (Bombay...
reviews: 16
Connecting Flights - BKK & DMK

Hi All,

I am landing at Suvarnabhumi at 10:45 am and have a connecting flight to Surat Thani from Don Mueang at 14:25.

Do you think I would be able to make it for the flight or book one the next day?

Thanks & Regards

Bellaria-Igea...
reviews: 172
1. Re: Connecting Flights - BKK & DMK

If your incoming flight won't have any dealy, You have all the time to go to DMK.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
2. Re: Connecting Flights - BKK & DMK

Hi,

That's do-able..

The drive time alone is going to be close to :60... a little shorter if via meter taxi, a bit longer if via free AoT shuttle bus.. but :60 would be a good estimate.

Of course, you still need to add in the time it takes you to arrive at DKK, clear passport control (if international) and get your bags.. For most, this takes about :40 to no more than :60 (assuming you don't need to get a formal Visa On Arrival).. plus about :10 to :15 to get your taxi or wait for the next shuttle bus..

So, you could expect to be at DMK around 1:50mins to 2:15mins after arrival at BKK.. that would make it close to about 12:45 to 13:00..

Most domestic airlines here have a deadline to check-in at around :40 to :45 before scheduled departure-- so for a 14:25, that would be around 13:45 or so..

All told, I see you as having about 1:00 to as much as 1:30+/- of "wiggle room" in this scenario.

Travel Safe,

Mumbai (Bombay...
3. Re: Connecting Flights - BKK & DMK

Thanks a lot for your replies ycemann and GOPBI.

The scenario you put is wherein everything is on time and moves smoothly. I am just skeptical about even one of the things not falling in place...

So now its decision time whether to take the risk and spend the night in Samui or stayover in Bangkok and fly our early next morning

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
4. Re: Connecting Flights - BKK & DMK

Which do you prefer on a worst case scenario basis? Miss your Surat Thani flight and pay again for the next available one that will get you to your intended destination on the same day as planned or rearrange your flight to Surat Thani and pay any ensuing costs plus cost of overnight in Bangkok to avoid the risk?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
5. Re: Connecting Flights - BKK & DMK

Hi,

"So now its decision time whether to take the risk and spend the night in Samui or stayover in Bangkok and fly our early next morning"

==> Agreed.. It's all a matter of risk acceptance level.. The hard thing is that airline #; the one who you fly from home to BKK is zero liability to you for arriving on time and making that next flight from Don Muang...

.. and airline #2 has zero liability to you if you don't make it, even if that's wholly not your fault..

So you end up bearing all the risks here.

To me, I'd look at this from the financial side first (as it's easier to quantify) and say "Am I OK with the maximum downside risk of loosing my entire ticket price paid for my current DMK-URT flight *and* having to buy a totally new one, at walk-up rates, whatever they are?"

If you're not OK with that risk-- or just don't want the stress- then I'd do as #4 and book a cheap hotel in BKK (they can be found for less than B1,000 for a basic, but clean and ample room) and give yourself a near guarantee that you'd make a next-day flight to URT.

If you're careful about where you stay overnight in BKK overnight and use the airport train to get to/from the airport and city (versus taxi), I think you can pretty easily come in at a net lower cost than if you were to miss your first flight (forfeit that fare already paid) and have to buy a new one at walk-up fares.

Travel Safe,

Mumbai (Bombay...
6. Re: Connecting Flights - BKK & DMK

Thanks everyone for taking time out to reply. I have decided to stay overnight in Bangkok and take the next flight out to Surat Thani the next day.

7. Re: Connecting Flights - BKK & DMK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 29, 2014