We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thai Airways - Aircraft Change Disappointment / Confusion

colchester
reviews: 33
Thai Airways - Aircraft Change Disappointment / Confusion

Hi

Something made me look at my booking on the Thai Airways website and my heart sank.

We are booked on flight TG 917 LHR-BKK 21.30 on 9/05/13

At the time of booking in August Thai Airways were flying their Airbus A340-600 on this route, which is the 2 - 4 - 2 seating configuration.

We reserved our seats carefully - nr 33 J&K

After checking today, however, they have changed their aircraft to a Boeing 747 .... grrr!

According to Seatguru (who still show that flight as the airbus) that would make our seat selection on the 747 a bit ify (next to gallery) and would also mean they are window and middle - not happy :o(

I guess my question is this - is this aircraft change a permanent one, or are they likely to revert back to the airbus?

Also, can anyone interpret what these notes mean on our booking planned flight info :

1 / Movie

4/ Audio Progamming

ET/Electronic TKT Candidate

Thank you so much for any advice/info.

Julie

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: Thai Airways - Aircraft Change Disappointment / Confusion

Seems to be permanent - at least for Summer 2013.

airlineroute.net/2013/01/21/tg-s13update4/

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 40
2. Re: Thai Airways - Aircraft Change Disappointment / Confusion

However, as they have changed aircraft, you might like to check with the airline that you still have your seats, and take the opportunity to rebook to seats you'd prefer. Often, when aircraft are changed, all previously made seat reservations go out the window, and you aren't always notified of this.

SWT

colchester
reviews: 33
3. Re: Thai Airways - Aircraft Change Disappointment / Confusion

Thank you Hans for the link and Sussex for your advice. I will be getting on to Thai to change seats for sure.

Do you know if the 747 has the entertainment system, I believe the older ones on this route didn't but hope they have now all been refurbished?

Cheers

Bellaria-Igea...
reviews: 151
4. Re: Thai Airways - Aircraft Change Disappointment / Confusion

The older 747 from Thai don't have nothing to entertain the guests apart of the 1 film and some music.

But why You booked so early? These things often happen with early bookings, You never know whatwill happen within 8/9 months from the booking. You better contact the local Thai office to clear it out.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
5. Re: Thai Airways - Aircraft Change Disappointment / Confusion

Hi,

They've completed cabin refurbishment on all their remaining B744's left in the passenger fleet.. Several were converted from passenger use, to an all-cargo configuration and now fly as Thai Cargo.

I recall only one remains un-refurbished and that is the one that is slated for removal (not conversion) from the fleet in early 2013 along with one additional 744 aircraft later in the year-- so 2 in total will come out by the end of 2013 and that coincides with new B773's and other aircraft coming into the fleet in the same period.

Here's a photo of what the new cabins look like in Econ, which includes in-seat IFE:

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSCF3413.jpg

While I suspect the change is permanent for the season-- Thai is somewhat famous for last-minute and short-term fleet changes; but at this point, I'd say that odds are better than 75% that you'll fly the aircraft that is planned as of now.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 7:41 am, January 24, 2013
Oxford, United...
reviews: 122
6. Re: Thai Airways - Aircraft Change Disappointment / Confusion

I booked with Emirates last year and the aircraft changed 3 times ..... I also changed my seat selection 3 times.

Why not go to the thai airways website and mange your booking and choose different seats. Aircraft can change all the time, so you can always keep an eye on it.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 125
7. Re: Thai Airways - Aircraft Change Disappointment / Confusion

I would contact Thai they'll be able to answer all your questions and rebook seats if necessary.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
8. Re: Thai Airways - Aircraft Change Disappointment / Confusion

The 747 is considered to be an upgrade to the 346. Thai will be introducing newer aircraft on long haul service to Europe since they're starting 388 service on the BKK-CDG route soon, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the 388 replacing the 747 on the London run in the not too distant future.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 105
9. Re: Thai Airways - Aircraft Change Disappointment / Confusion

"But why You booked so early? These things often happen with early bookings, You never know what will happen within 8/9 months from the booking."

___

Some people have to book early if their plans dictate - and on busy routes. I've booked flights before around 11 months out. As long as you accept that changes can occur then booking early isn't an issue.

Bellaria-Igea...
reviews: 151
10. Re: Thai Airways - Aircraft Change Disappointment / Confusion

@sunmagic

ok, we both have different meanings about early bookings, no problem. Maybe I'm lucky, In the last 12 years I never booked more then 10 days in advance. For one or the other reason I always find last minute deals. Ofcourse I have to be very flexible regarding the compagnies.